We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

backup and restore xp to win7

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi guys, i have a 10 year old xp pc with sp3 and all current updates. its ok( but rather slow) and i recently backed up my emails, 'my documents', and ''media' files to my external Buffalo MiniStation using Paragon Backup and Recovery 2011 SE from the PC Advisor DVD, March 2012. I'm now seriously considering a new pc which of course will have Win7 installed. I have 2 main questions. 1) If i install this program on the new pc, will i be able to restore my files on the new pc? 2) Regarding the emails, i currently use Outlook 2000 (from Office 2000) and expect to either install Office 2010 (the version that inc Outlook) or i can buy just Outlook 2010. Will i be able to recover all my backed up emails to Outlook 2010 on the new pc. Thanks in advance for your assistance - Tony

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

May be this will help pdf movemyemail here

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Paragon archives can be mounted (explored and browsed) you copy whatever you want out of the archive onto your new main drive or wherever.

How to link.

However, I just had a quick play with my copy of B&R 2012 Free and the only way I could do it was Archive Tab. Navigate to a folder in top right window and export. It was fiddly and faffy.

Maybe I missed something.

Unless you are wedded to Paragon, you might want to have a look at Macrium or Easeus instead. Double click to Mount Image file, then drag and drop. Much easier.

Image files cannot of course be 'Restored' since it will be to a new machine. (different OS and drivers etc)

Old comparison here. Still mostly applicable.

Always check/verify images and archives. They can occasionally be corrupt.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I used a far more simple method. I just copied the folders I wanted saved (Documents, Photos etc. etc.) to a couple of Flash drives. Then, having installed Win7, I just copied their contents back to where I wanted them.

Simples!!

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for your help. Paragon was free on the PC Advisor disc. I've never backed up before, but with this pc kinda playing up lately, and not wanting to lose everything, i'm trying my best to make the transition as easy as possible. I want to get a new pc built to my spec, fairly future proof for an old git like me,(1 Tb hdd, 16g ram,etc). Its the email stuff and work i've done for my band using Serif PagePlus and Canon's CD label print that i don't want to lose. - Tony

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...