We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mouse stopped working on Win XP desktop

One Old Git

Likes # 0

Am running Win xp on an oldish desktop . At recent switch on, everything looked same as usual but, when boot-up completed, wireless mouse had stopped working. Pointer would not respond. Had been using this wireless mouse for some time with no problems. Tried an old (none USB) cable type optical mouse. Plugged into correct socket. No better. Mouse still did not work. Pressed various keys (ALT etc.)and managed to access control panel then Mouse settings. This said that cable mouse was working correctly. Sadly it wasn't.

Any ideas where I go from here?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Wireless mouse - uninstall - check bats - reinstall software.

After uninstall of wireless mouse reboot to see if cable type mouse works.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

(none USB) cable type optical mouse. Plugged into correct socket. No better

I hope you switched off before plugging in a PS2 mouse as it can blow the non replaceable fuse on the motherboard.

Check device manager for yellow or red error marks against the mouse drivers.

Like this post
One Old Git

Likes # 0

Still having no success! Thanks Woody and Fruit Bat. The wireless mouse came with a USB memory stick. All I had to do was plug it in and away it went. No probs. Worked fine for long time until failure. Then tried all kinds of things but. without the mouse, very difficult.

Installed another copy of the same Windows on a different drive. It worked perfectly, wireless mouse included. The old cabled mouse did not work on the new Windows therefore dumped. Sadly I am now going to have to spend a lot of time getting access to all the things that were on almost instant recall with the old windows.

Any ideas how I can speed this process up? TIA.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

It sounds like the old windows has the mouse driver damaged. I know you did not load one but there has to be one . Have you checked in device manager? I would have a go at repairing old windows but make sure you have backed up before you do much.

Like this post
One Old Git

Likes # 0

Woody. Have made a starton your suggestion but not easy without mouse| For same reason full data save hard, Am having to leave it for some days. Will let you know developments.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Through Control Panel select System, Hardware, and device manager. In Device manager select by double clicking or expand with the '+' sign, Mice and other pointing devices. Highlight the device that you have then right click and select uninstall. I know it is difficult to navigate via keyboard but with the TAB key and the arrows keys, enter etc. you should be able to do it. XP will reboot twice with the USB receiver still plugged in to your PC and will install generic drivers.

Keyboard Commands

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes