We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer Problem

ponytail

Likes # 0

I need to print off my wifes CV but when it printed the print started nearly half way across the page which meant some of the longer sentences were cut short.When I went into print preview it looks fine.Not sure if I am using portrait or landscape.Just printed one of my spread sheets and the print is going from end to end I have to hold it horizontally to read it I normally read it holding it vertically.How to I check and if needs be change from Portrait to landscape or vice versa.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You are printing in landscape if you are having to turn the paper horizontal to read it. To Change this.

Control panel>Devices and Printers>Right click the printer>Printing Preferences>Orientation>Put a dot in Portrait>Apply>OK.

This was using Windows 7 but I think you get the idea.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus I did find out that info just before you replied. my wifes CV is now fine as I hold it vertically to read it. But the spread sheet I printed is the same as before as I have to hold it horizontally to read it.It does not cause any problems as all the info is there but I have always read it horizontally.Why has one changed but not the other.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It sounds like you have altered an Excel setting perhaps, but there maybe help here. Portrait/landscape.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Again Chronus I clicked on your link and clicked on change the page orientation when you are ready to print.It says select worksheet ok but it then says click on file tab but cannot see any file tab to click on can you advise.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Unfortunately I cannot advise as I have just spent a fair bit of time Googling your question and have not come across the answer. I know very little about the Office 2007 and as long as I can type a letter thats about it.

Surely someone here will come to your rescue.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Please give the make and model of your printer. Does a dialogue box appear where you can set orientation etc?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

If Excel 2007 is anything like Excel 2003, check the following. Go to File - Print - Properties - Layout - and click on either 'landscape' or 'portrait'.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi John Bunyan & ian in Northampton The printer is a Brother DCP-J315W see reply from chronus I went into orientation and selected portrait.My wifes CV prints in portrait but my spreadsheet prints in landscape if I select landscape the CV prints in landscape but the spreadsheet seems to print in landscape whatever option I have chosen.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

I have just gone back into orientation and selected portrait The CV printed vertically and the spreadsheet printed horizontally Went back in orientation and changed it to landscape this time both printouts were horizontal which means the spreadsheet prints horizontal whichever option I choose but the CV changes to what option I have selected not sure why.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Ponytail: have you set the orientation you need in both Word and Excel prior to printing? The values you enter in the application should override any 'global' option you've set for the printer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback