We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it possible to upgrade my PC's processor cheaply and safely?

Potter Mouse

Likes # 0

Help me please, I have no idea about PC componants and there wierd and wonderful coded names so I realy need some advice please? My PC is about 7 years old, yes I know that is ancient, I dont have a lot of cash to spare just now and so would like to upgrade what I have got rather than buy new or build my own PC. My question is this, can I upgrade my processor cheaply, fairly easily and safely? My motherboard is a M863AG V1.X My current processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ which I would like to replace with a better processor like the Athlon XP 2600+ or even better if I can. I would just like to know if it is possible without upgrading everything else too please?

If you need more info to help me with this please just ask and I will do my best to find the info you need.

Thanks in advance, Tat.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I know what SIS stands for. Are you sure that is what SIW says under the video heading? When you click on it you need to look alongside Video Processor That is where it will tell you your graphics card. You have posted the wrong info.

As for your RAM you will need to get either a 2GB stick or 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM and toss your two 512MB as they are worse than useless. Your mother board can only handle 2GB of memory which just shows me how old your PC is. Use this Crucial Scanner, this will tell you what RAM is right for your PC. Please post what comes at the top of the list after it has scanned your PC. It will be something like PC 2700 or PC3200 something like that.

Like this post
Potter Mouse

Likes # 0

I went into SIW again and clicked on video from the left hand side, video processor is listed twice on that page and next to both it says SiS 741. Crucial scan says at top under Memory Type DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR(non-ECC), Maiximum memory 2GB.

Hope I got the right info this time although I have posted SiS 741 twice already.

Thanks again,

Potter Mouse.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The reason I cannot find anything about SIS741 is it is not a separate graphics card this is integrated graphics, which means simply that the graphics is handled by the motherboard so no wonder you are getting crap frame rates.

As your motherboard only has an AGP slot for a graphics card as opposed to the modern PCI-E then I would have a look on Ebay for a cheap AGP video card,try and get one with at least 256/512 memory.Also get yourself 2GB of PC 2700/3200 and you should see a healthy jump in your game frame-rates.

Like this post
Potter Mouse

Likes # 0

Thank you Chronus for all of you help, I will give what you suggest a go.

Thanks again and take care,

Potter Mouse. :o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good