We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with my Toshiba laptop please

alB

Likes # 0

Today I was using my Toshiba Equium A300D-16C laptop, there was a pop/crack noise that seemed to come from inside, near to the left hand side of the touch pad, the laptop immediately closed down, it didn't feel too hot but I left it for an hour to cool, unfortunately it now won't boot up, would there be any kind of thermal fuse on the M/B that might have blown or does it sound like something more serious. I looked at taking the bottom off but there's that many screws I don't want to do more damage by trying to take it apart. Any ideas gratefully received ...alB

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

On boot-up do you get the Toshiba splash screen before it closes down? Try getting to the bios or temporary boot order window and see if the Hard drive is listed.

Having problems posting at the moment so apologies for slow replies.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sounds terminal

any signs of life at all?

remove battery and mains lead, hold power switch down for 30 seconds, retry with battery out and mains only.

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

rdave13/FruitBat, thanks for your replies, I'm afraid it's as dead as the proverbial, no noise/lights of any sign, tried the battery out option but just the same, while it was working the battery was at full charge with the mains unit plugged in, I've tried both on the wifes lappy and they're both OK ...alB

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sounds like a classic case of a fried mobo.

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

onthelimit1..sadly I'm inclined to agree with you, found a local laptop repair guy near where I live, will be ringing him tomorrow to see what he thinks before I decide on the next step, fortunately everything of importance was backed up, be a shame if it's unrepairable, it's been an excellent lappy (up 'til now!!) Will keep you posted, ...alB

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Chances are the 250GB(?)hard disk has not been fried at the same time. In which case, even if you had to buy a new laptop you can use the old drive with a USB caddy.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How old is the laptop? If only about a couple of years old why not contact Toshiba and see what they say? Contact number here. You never know. They might be helpful.

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

Bought August 2008 and has been well looked after, good idea rdave13, I'll give Toshiba a ring, as you say, you never know, Thanks again all ...alB

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

Made a couple of phone calls this morning, Toshiba have quoted £470 to fit a new motherboard, rang the local guy who invited me around to his house, he did a couple of quick tests to no avail, left the lappy with him for further investigation, the bad news is the board's shot, he reckons he could replace it and get it running again for £150ish but that's with no guarantee that something else won't go wrong in the future, in fairness to him he has said that it wouldn't be worth it, so it looks like I'm in the market for a new one, now, here's my dilemma, get a new laptop or finally go for an iPad ...alB

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I guess as I have finding out of late- once the basic machine fails- there is nothing for it but to replace the machine.

The Labour coast and replacement parts[If any are to be had at all] bring the likely cost close to a new machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad