We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB3 card and cable

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am thinking of getting a USB3 card (fit to PCI-e slot) and a cable to run an external harddrive.

I am running XP Pro, would I see any benefit of would I need to have Windows 7 32 or 64 bit for the best performance.

Thanks

Terry

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Think that you would need a usb3 mouse if there is such a thing.

Wonder if it makes any difference having a USB2 mouse plugged into a usb3 port.

I have a usb3 port on my computer and not sure if it makes any difference.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I do not think that USB 3 is supported in XP.

USB 1.x support was in XP Pro. USB 2.x support was in SP 1 and beefed up more in SP2 and SP3.

But I am not 100% sure that this is right.

Your external HDD would also need to be in a USB 3 caddy of course.

I have just had another look around and you might be OK provided that you have XP drivers for the PCI card, many do not have them.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman and Chronus.

I did not even think about the Harddrive have to be a USB3 (SSD ?),I think I'll wait a while to see how things develop.

Terry

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more