We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Home - Compaq Presario v6500 sound card not working

Steveoddidi

Likes # 0

Please please help. My laptop sound has gone. I have tried many things so far and i'm out of ideas. I did get it back for a day but since then nothing. The card is not even registering where it used to be in device manager. This makes me think it's toast, but i'm hoping its some crazy registry, something anything other than .. I'm guessing a new laptop. Does the CONEXANT sound card exist in its own right or is it simply part of the motherboard?

Help me please, you are my only hope.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Try an old Restore Point, you can undo it if it doesn't work.

Or run (try NOT Install) an ubuntu live CD.

If it's toast, a USB Soundcard is cheaper than a new laptop (unless you are looking for an excuse to buy)

Cheap and cheerful, but some don't last long apparently. Check the reviews.

Like this post
Steveoddidi

Likes # 0

Hi Robin - thanks for the very swift answer, Muppet here must have deleted old restore points. the unbunto thing looks too complicated for my inferior brain. I'll look into the USB version. My wife says "what do you need sound for anyway!!!!" Bliss Thanks anyway

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...