We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hot swapping memory sticks

sputnick

Likes # 0

As a Dj I have a lot of music downloaded onto Usb memory sticks. The problem I have is trying to hot swap them during a gig. Sometimes they are not found unless I reboot, which is not possible at that time.I always use the " safely remove" device at home but again not convenient during gigs. Is there a way to make USB swapping more reliable.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

As far as I am aware you have to click in the Safely Remove Hardware in the system tray before removing USB Sticks or USB H/Drives. If you do not do this you can corrupt the data on the disc.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

There is an setting for Quick Removal which disables write-caching and supposedly allows it.

I don't trust it myself. USB drives are flaky enough at the best of times.

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

Why don't you invest in a 4 port usb hub?

You could then have 4 sticks open as separate drives and you should be able to change to the appropriate drive quickly enough.

Like this post
sputnick

Likes # 0

Thanks I will use a hub

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014