We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7 year old Pc Upgrade

ProSabz
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I was currently thinking about upgrading my current pc as its getting quite slow to use and I want it to be able to play games on higher graphics settings and less lag. I play a couple of browser games, which are fine and mmorpg's which recommend the following for smooth gameplay: Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 CPU: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent RAM: 2GB Required Hard Disk Space: 15GB Graphics Card: 256MB ATIx800 or NVIDA 6800 card (or better) and the newer games require more or less the same specs

I was hoping my pc can take a core 2 duo and a better graphics card.

so heres my specs (using Everest): Motherboard ID: 08/30/2005-i915P-6A79VG0DC-00 Motherboard Name: Gigabyte GA-8I915PM Bus Type: Intel GTL+ Bus Type: Dual DDR SDRAM Bus Width: 64-bit Real Clock: 133 MHz (QDR) Effective Clock: 533 MHz Bandwidth: 4266 MB/s Bus Type: Dual DDR SDRAM Bus Width: 128-bit DRAM:FSB Ratio 6:4 Real Clock: 200 MHz (DDR) Effective Clock: 400 MHz Bus Type: Intel Direct Media Interface CPU Sockets/Slots: 1 LGA775 RAM Slots: 4 DDR DIMM Motherboard Size: 240 mm x 240 mm Motherboard Chipset: i915P Chipset type: Dual Channel (128-bit) Company Name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. BIOS Type: Award Medallion BIOS Version: Intel 915P BIOS for 8I915PM 20q NF Award BIOS Type: Award Medallion BIOS v6.00PG Award BIOS Message: Intel 915P BIOS for 8I915PM 20q NF Company Name: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate System type: 32-bit operating system

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache(TM) (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) Video Adapter: Leadtek WinFast PX6200SE TC Bus Type: PCI Express 1.0 x16 @ x16 Memory Size: 64 MB GPU Clock: 351 MHz (original: 350 MHz) RAMDAC Clock: 400 MHz

CPU: CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 524 CPUID CPU Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz

Storage: Hard Disk Name: Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 160023 Formatted Capacity: 160 GB

This is probably more than I needed to show but if there is any more info I need to present then please feel free to ask.

I havent got much experience on computers but i've done a bit of research and have seen a few videos on the basics of the components and I think my chipset might be a bit outdated, even though my socket may be the right type. I think my motherboard can only take an AGP or PCI and not a PCI-E (i'm guessing this since I got the pc around 2005)

If I can't upgrade my processor or the graphics card, is there anything else I could do to improve performance? i.e. more ram

Ideally I want to spend under £200

any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I would suggest that instead of trying to upgrade the current motherboard, you get a motherboard bundle and replace the whole lot, you can still use your existing Monitor,harddrive,mouse, keyboard etc, however your PSU (Power unit) will proberley need to be upgraded as your new board wil have Sata connections as well as PCI.

The advantage is they are ready built- all you have to do remove the old board and replace with the new.

I am guessing that your current motherboard has AGP graphics and PCI slots for the drives (Wide grey cable).

There are very few motherboards that have an AGP slot for graphics now (most are PCI-e)

Have a look at Microdirect, Novatech, or just search for 'Motherboard Bundles' to see what is available at at what prices.

Advantage- You will have an up to date computer that should run most programs.

Terry

Like this post  
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is this your mobo? Click on the first link which is a PDF.

The info you have posted clearly shows you have a PCI-E slot for your graphics card. You have a quite old Pentium 4 CPU not sure about RAM as you have rightly stated far to much info most of it not helpful.

Use this, the Home Edition is the one you need. SIW, install and run it on the left hand side you will see the heading Hardware below that are the headings for all the components in your PC. If you could post make/type and amount of ram that would be useful.

Terry Brown's suggestion of buying a bundle is probably the best way to go, a motherboard/CPU/Ram bundle being ideal.

Like this post
ProSabz

Likes # 0

First of all, thanks for the fast response,

Terry Brown, I have just looked at the motherboard bundles and they do seem affordable and may improve performance by a lot, thanks for the advise, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Chronus, that motherboard is a different model to mine and I have downloaded the program you recommended and have found the following information: I have 2 slots for my RAM and they are both taken up; Memory type: DDR[PC3200] Manufacturer: Nanya Technology Model: NT512D64S8HC0G-5T Capacity: 512 MBytes Speeed: 200 Mhz Manufacturing Date: 2005, week 41 EPP SPD Support: No XMP SPD Support: No Supported Frequencies: 166 Mhz, 200 Mhz

Ive cut out the serial number but that probable doesn't matter I've also checked the system slots, I have 4 slots, the 1st and 2nd are PCI, 32 bit bus width, the 3rd one is PCI-E 16X, and the 4th is PCI-E 1X slots 2 and 3 are currently in use.

Is there any graphics card that may be better than the one I have but still works well with the pentium 4 3.06ghz?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

So what model is your motherboard then? and you only have 1GB of RAM as well,2 x 512Mbs? Upgrading your graphics card is not impossible but would be tricky with just P4 CPU, then you would have to take into consideration your power supply which I will imagine will be something like 300 - 400w or even less?

I think a bundle would probably be the best route as by the time you add up all the various component upgrades it will probably work out cheaper to buy a bundle and you are not going to have issues with compatibility.

Like this post
ProSabz

Likes # 0

Sorry, I think the link you provided may be my motherboard, well mine is GA-8I915PM and the one on that link is GA-8I915PM-FS, so I assume they may have same components.

And yep, the RAM is 1Gb, 2x 512Mb. I'm not too sure about the power supply though.

I think the new motherboard bundle sounds like a good idea, might actually build a new system, will post a thread on that if I am to go down that route.

Thanks Chronus and Terry Brown.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

To find out what power supply you have open your case and the info will be on sticker on the PSU.With out a doubt you need to add more ram 1GB is not nearly enough, a minimum of 3/4GB is a must.

Like this post
ProSabz

Likes # 0

I'm using a 230w power supply.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

230W, that is low. I think a bundle is the best option with an increased power supply.I would only have that sort of PSU in a HTPC.

Like this post
ProSabz

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus, I've put up another thread on a PC build, i'm considering getting a whole different system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...