We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long must this go on?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Newbies come on this site and have not got a clue as how to post a link. Case in point. Not that I am blaming the thread starter as even long serving members have problems so we can hardly blame the newly registered.

Most times an upgrade is invariably an improvement but with PC Advisor it was mainly a massive backward step. What on earth was wrong with the simple but effective Click here that we used to enjoy?

But is not just posting a link, adding a list is a nuisance or giving someone personal help by contacting them via a personal message,the icon is there but not the ability.

I come here to see if I can be of some small help but sometimes it is hard work in posting a neat and well laid out answer, particularly when it includes a list and links.

Rant over.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

correction - site not sight

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Well, I have to admit to being one of those asked to give an opinion on the "new site" prior to launch, and in all honesty, I was quite impressed. I found a few things not working and reported them, but I thought the visual appeal of the new site was far better than the old.

Like others here, I was quite astonished at the speed after those initial impressions, the site launched. Certainly those problems I reported had not been fixed and in truth, I really had not had sufficient time to give a proper and fair test of the new site.

It is disappointing to see so many negative comments, but having cursed this site on many occasions since, I understand exactly where you're all coming from.

A rushed implementation is never a good policy in my view and while I have no idea to this day why it was so rushed, the proof has been in the pudding ever since.

From my tests this morning, the site is in all probability running on Windows servers, which for a high volume site is invariably bad news. The likes of Google, Facebook and so on, would never go down that road, so one has to ask, why? Particularly when Linux is free!

On a number of occasions, various people (including me) have asked for features to be put back; personal messaging, the old format of the date posted and so on. But to the best of my knowledge, all has been ignored. Disappointing and not a good advertisement for PCA.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

buteman

I cannot understand your comments in your first paragraph above?.

Some of the 'selected' members have already stated that they received emails regarding participating, within hours of the new website (you mention browser?) going on air. I was one of the supposed few such 'selected' members, and by the time I had received the email, and before I was able to respond, the new website was already activated.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

buteman

It looks like I might owe you an apology, because if LastChip comments are correct, then some members who had been selected had a far bigger warning or notification than others. I know for sure I didn't!.

As I mentioned earlier, the fast release even caught the forum editor out, and that in the PCA archives.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Stand Corrected,New Website.

It is obvious that more information was requires so they may have asked others at a later date,I stand by what I said either 2 or three weeks before being informed and the new Website opening.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It is obvious that more information was requires so they may have asked others at a later date

Yes but far to late to have enough time to try the site and give an opinion, as I said I had but a few hours and I think most of them I would have been sleeping as it was quite late.

But that aside, the powers that be have not taken any notice of the many concerns voiced in various threads since the new format went live. Perhaps they were correct at the beginning to ignore criticism as the new site was still being tweaked but I think that re-look at the forums is in order given the passage of time and the still poor standard.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Those who designed the site, the PCA staff and those asked to beta test are likely to be fairly expert in the use of forums, their computers, etc but many who come to this site for advice are not of the same standard. I don't think enough consideration has been taken to assist them eg in the production of a "sticky" guide.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

VOG

Nice to hear from you again.

I don't know if you remember, but some time ago I was working on a double entry spreadsheet and you wrote me a program (Macro) for Excel.

That program is still in use and I have passed it to a few other people, including a local businessman who swears by it.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today