We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long must this go on?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Newbies come on this site and have not got a clue as how to post a link. Case in point. Not that I am blaming the thread starter as even long serving members have problems so we can hardly blame the newly registered.

Most times an upgrade is invariably an improvement but with PC Advisor it was mainly a massive backward step. What on earth was wrong with the simple but effective Click here that we used to enjoy?

But is not just posting a link, adding a list is a nuisance or giving someone personal help by contacting them via a personal message,the icon is there but not the ability.

I come here to see if I can be of some small help but sometimes it is hard work in posting a neat and well laid out answer, particularly when it includes a list and links.

Rant over.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

D@ve - morddwyd is well aware of the preview box but he cannot access it or many of the format buttons because he has to use accessibility settings and this stops the preview box. He has posted about this a number of times and tried many settings. I sympathise with him.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I go with the flow, and am grateful for the site. I use an ad blocker so that is not an issue. I appreciate the site as a"free to use" one, and have received much, and given a little, technical advice. The forum team deserve congratulations, coupled with a bit of constructive criticism. For those unable to access the preview section, they could type in Word (with it's editing capacity) then simply copy and paste to the thread.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

john bunyan

I agree it is possible to create a post in Word (or Notepad) and paste it in, but it is a long way around. Many sites (I have provided one example) provide the option to simply post in an open box or to use a Rich Text editor with all the advantages that offers. Such a system could also offer a preview facility and the ability to edit after posting which many have said would be helpful.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

johndrew

I use ATI occasionally, and Adobe. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, as does this one. I like PCA for the variety of subjects including Speakers Corner etc.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"they could type in Word (with it's editing capacity) then simply copy and paste to the thread."

Which I frequently do for a thread starter, or a long post, but to have to fire up Word, which involves changing my browser from FF to Chrome in my particular case, simply to type "Is it Grimsby?" on a Friday evening is not a prospect which invariably fills me with joy.

Would you have wanted to do this for each of your 6,000 posts?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thank you - not quite 6000! I still make many mistakes, but since downloading Speckie, which highlights spelling errors, they are fewer.You may already have such a programme, but if not here you are:Speckie I welcome your posts as you well know, and was only trying to be constructive.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS I have a long way to get to be over your 11000+, and have noticed few errors!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Not sure how a spell checker, which most browsers have anyway, is relevant to the preview box.

D@ve's original point, to which I responded, was about the use of bold and italics, not spelling, which has never been much of an issue in these forums.

My apologies for crediting you with 6,000 posts instead of 5,906.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded