We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long must this go on?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Newbies come on this site and have not got a clue as how to post a link. Case in point. Not that I am blaming the thread starter as even long serving members have problems so we can hardly blame the newly registered.

Most times an upgrade is invariably an improvement but with PC Advisor it was mainly a massive backward step. What on earth was wrong with the simple but effective Click here that we used to enjoy?

But is not just posting a link, adding a list is a nuisance or giving someone personal help by contacting them via a personal message,the icon is there but not the ability.

I come here to see if I can be of some small help but sometimes it is hard work in posting a neat and well laid out answer, particularly when it includes a list and links.

Rant over.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

One of the main things to affect the number of postings is the 99.99% reliability of present day equipment. Most people today just buy an item from an online retailer, open the box, plug it in and it works ! No more DOS commands, IRQs, all the other baffling jargon, if it dont work, send it back ! Also, as compumac said earlier, most things are done on the latest shiny smart phone. That's the future lads, we oldies are REAL dinosaurs. Still, we are here if needed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have to agree with Chronus about the way the 'extensive trials' were conducted. A few 'selected' people were emailed a few hours before the new website with its improvements was released. If you look at past achive material, you may well find that the 'fast and sudden' release even took the Forum Editor by surprise!.

It would also seem, that when you mention losing some very well respected member's who have contributed a very great deal to this website, the standard reply is that all forums have the same problems of people leaving or moving on, and apparently this forum is no different. Perhaps some of the past and now lesser respected member's, might not have the same views, and are airing their comments in a desperate attempt before they depart as well?.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

At a very rough glance i note the comments are circa 3 or 4 percent of the viewers.

Is that low num normal?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Pine Man

Great that it all works well for you 100%.But posting a link is not simple, neither is posting a list, you cannot edit a post, you cannot PM another member even though there is an icon. If you want to respond to a specific part of a posters thread you cannot highlight and quote particularly easily. This forum is not simple and straightforward to use particularly if you are new. This site fails/slows call it what you will, more than any other forum I use and I use a lot of them.

My thread has nothing to do with not accepting the upgrade or not getting used to it, in my opinion and of others the upgrade was not an improvement and for people to still be airing concerns that are largely being ignored is frankly very disappointing.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I appreciate that when there are changes to a function like this there will be opposition to those changes but generally people come to adapt.

The main thing that is different in my opinion is that the "Group discussion" that arose when there was a posting has disappeared. There would be a number of replies to a posting within a very short time and as I would repeat - it became conversational, there was a cameraderie. Many of the old posters no longer appear and one does has to ask why.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Chronus

Not quite 100% ;-)

'you cannot edit a post' That would be an improvement as you never seem to spot your typos etc until after you've posted!

'you cannot PM another member' Definitely a failing and something I miss.

'If you want to respond to a specific part of a posters thread you cannot highlight and quote particularly easily.' Can't agree with that surely it's just a matter of cut and paste. Change the style if you want. This reply wasn't particularly onerous.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I doubt the concerns raised over the past months are a simple resistance to change; more likely a resistance to bad or poor change.

My comments about "extensive trials" (please note the word in italics) were, to say the least, tongue in cheek as I believed then and now, borne out by the comment made by Chronus, that it was a rush job with less than adequate thought applied. It may have been political, I have no confirmation, but there was great surprise from many that no warning had been provided.

There are many templates for improvement over the old site format which exceed this current example and perhaps those responsible should spend a little time considering the features embodied within them. I could provide many examples but one I recently used (not necessarily the fastest, but has plenty of good features as well as a few poor ones) is at Acronis.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't think that there is a problem with the forum format. Its more to do with the changes being made, and some people, certainly including myself, are finding it more difficult to understand or work, because there are no instructions being provided or consultations allowed on how this website is intending to work?.

As stated earlier by Woolwell, there was suppose to be an instruction section being provided, but so far this hasn't happened. Possibly because there are more changes in the pipe-line, or the management team do not regard this as an essential?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am one of the 'oldies' who doesn't feel comfortable with the improved site and also on certain sections the tone has changed for the worse IMHO and my visits are becoming fewer. I used to get much enjoyment from helping where I could and also learning by reading all the threads. I suppose progress dictates change and those not happy with it will find other niches on the internet. As I recall, that's why I came here 10 years ago, previous forum I was on went the same way. Life's too short.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

VoG quote "I still visit often but post rarely"

I empathise with this comment I find the Forum getting more cliqueish by a few Knowledgeable members, having the effect of squeezing out newcomers. I don't think it's the technicalities of using the changed format. I have contributed for some time but now hold back as though my thoughts are an intrusion to the select few. It takes time and effort to respond and not rewarding when responses are ignored or blanked. The conversational element of the sight has been lost for this reason. This in no way is meant to distract from the valuable contributions made, perhaps a change in attitude required?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite