We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long must this go on?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Newbies come on this site and have not got a clue as how to post a link. Case in point. Not that I am blaming the thread starter as even long serving members have problems so we can hardly blame the newly registered.

Most times an upgrade is invariably an improvement but with PC Advisor it was mainly a massive backward step. What on earth was wrong with the simple but effective Click here that we used to enjoy?

But is not just posting a link, adding a list is a nuisance or giving someone personal help by contacting them via a personal message,the icon is there but not the ability.

I come here to see if I can be of some small help but sometimes it is hard work in posting a neat and well laid out answer, particularly when it includes a list and links.

Rant over.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

the rush to bring in changes and the rush to bring in credit, alas we have debt and no one to turn to. The banking industry making people into life long debt and pca quick to bring in changes that have not served the people who use PCA forums

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I usually avoid any product that bears the label "New", "Improved", "For your convenience" they are normally anything but ! The same thing applies to this site, it was promised as a new improvement on the old. Huh ! For a newbie it must be murder to use and for oldies like me it's a bit frustrating to say the least. Rant over, it gets you nowhere.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

compumac

Thanks for the link, but it just reinforces the fact that the concerns of the forum members actually count for nothing and are ignored. I am surprised the old chestnut that this site is free, always written in a way to imply that most other forums are not, still plenty of time for that to be posted.

VoG™

Its been a while since we have had your Excel expertise. You are quite right there do not seem to be so many questions on that subject of late. But we do get many many question where the original poster never ever responds once he/she has posted their question.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Part of the reason for the lack of postings is due to the rise of smart phones with vitually instant communication.

a lot of people no longer sit at a desktop or laptop, typing in replies, waiting to see if it been accepted then waiting for a reply, they prefer instant action.

Saying that, the Upgrade of the PCadvisor site has been a disaster, from the first drafts there have been improvements, however the original site was much easier to use and reply on (if required) a One to One basis.

Terry

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 1

Teery Brown Even with smartphones I do not see how they could be faster than it WAS on this forum.

Back in the old days there were quick responses, as I said - it was almost conversational

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I have to echo the sentimenta of many others here. VoG pretty much sums it up.

I've been a member on here for over 11 years. This used to be a dynamic forum with many diverse threads / posts. Since the "upgrade", the number of threads has fallen dramatically and I can certainly say that I have not been anywhere near as active in posting as I used to be due to the sheer agony of using the site.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I don't think Rants make any difference.

They will acknowledge the problems and tell you they are looking into them.But lets face it we are stuck with what we have.

According to URL Spy they are still making a large sum from there advertising and they will get new visitors every day whether we are here or not.

They are not going to go back to the way it was so looks like we have to get on with what we have.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I believe the overall tone of the posts in this thread sum up the concerns expressed when the site format was improved. We were assured that we would get used to it and that extensive trials had been carried out prior to the introduction. Many (including me) considered any trials to be less than the banner (Expert advice you can trust) promised and the number of glitches introduced to be worthy of any amateur programmer who lacked the insight into what was to be achieved.

As a result I have noted that not only has the volume of posts reduced, but that many of the original helpers/posters are either less willing to post or have left the site.

If this is the way PCA wishes to direct its future then I can only believe that membership will dwindle and less trust will be placed in both magazine and forums.

Come on PCA. The members are willing but need a bit of help from your end as well.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

"that extensive trials had been carried out prior to the introduction"

I was sent an email a few hours before the "upgraded" forums went live asking me to try,test and give an opinion of the so called improvements, so I am not sure what is meant by extensive trials. if my memory serves the request for my views came sometime in the evening and to be honest gave very little time to extensively trial.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I don't get it.

I know that there were some teething problems with this site when it was originally set up in the new format but I'm not experiencing any problems with speed, adverts, starting threads, posting replies or inserting hyperlinks.

In fact it seems to be running perfectly to me :-)

Windows 7 32bit using Firefox on my PC and Windows 7 64bit using Firefox on my laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home