We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

advice please - home wireless options questions

pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

Windows 7 Home Premium.I keep all drivers and malware detectors etc up to date and scan alot.

Home use. I have a N150 wireless modem router in the downstairs living room. My main pc is in the room above and uses a N150 wireless adaptor. Since I got it my kids now both have laptops using wirelsss and watch you tube videos etc. My wife has ipod and uses the internet on it and I have a smartphone connected wirelessly to the modem router. As such my main pc now seems to have a far weaker signal and speedtest results are slower than say a year ago. I don't won't to connect my main pc to modem router by cable and I can't move the modem router upstairs. So, to improve the signal around the house do I:

1) buy a N300 modem router (£100) and a N300 wireless adaptor(£40) for my main pc or, 2) keep my N150 modem router and N150 wireless adaptor card but powersocket plug in wireless range extenders (I've seen 200Mb ones for £70)?

Thank you

P

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you for all the replies!

I am with Talktalk and on their fibre option FaQ section it just mentions an engineer comes out it doesn't mention that they provide a higher spec modem router.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

got the home plugs and made a great difference! thanks

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What make/type Homeplugs did you buy.

There's a range, and I am looking into this for my own use. Not sure what to go for though?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm using TP-LINK model TL-PA211. I have 3 (the kit of two and an extra one) http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/?categoryid=206

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

pookie

Thanks for your feedback. Which make did you get?

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

I got the Belkin F5D4074uk AV Powerline Adaptor Kit. Simple to set up and came with all cables.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With regards to the adaptor kits, I have just been looking at 7dayshop, which seems to have a good selection, plus reviews on their own branded items seem to have some good reviews.

Trying to find out who manufactures 7dayshop branded adaptor kits and equipment?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks