We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

upgrade

smithy12345j

Likes # 0

can anyone please advise me on what i need to upgrade next, i have had my rig for a few years and would like to know what the next thing i would most benefit from upgrading and an ideal model number would be appreciated

GTX 460 se i5 760 @ 2.80 GHz RAM 12GB 500 GB HDD

overall windows rating of 5.9 due to hdd GPU 6.0 RAM 7.5 CPU 7.3

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

An SSD would be a good upgrade,a 128 Crucial M4 is a great buy at the moment.

But as to upgrading anything else,it would be helpful to have an idea of your main use for the PC. I am assuming that you are not a gamer. I have just got my Windows rating to 7.8,I do not believe it is possible to get to the max 7.9 or so I am led to beleive.

Like this post
smithy12345j

Likes # 0

thanks for the comment my primary use is simulation (Flight simulator X) and ARMA 2i did think an SSD hdd however i currently have fulled over 300gb of files for add on aircraft and scenery so an SSD would be pricey over 300GB ?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Actually you would not need a large SSD. I have a 128GB SSD for operating system and programs I also have two 1TB hard-drives. One has all the My folders on it, (Music Photos Films and Documents). The other 1TB hard-drive has my rather large Steam games folder,I think I have about 54 games installed.

This means that if I need to reinstall Windows 7 then it is simplicity itself and of course very fast to do. A quick repair of Steam and I am good to go. So a worthwhile upgrade.

Like this post
smithy12345j

Likes # 0

I have been looking at corsair I have forgotten the name and I am on my phone, the yellow ssd's they go together with hdds ? Or do all ssd's go alongside hdd's ? If they go alongside... Great I will invest.

If I did go ssd my next upgrade ? Graphics card or processor ? Or water cooling ? Thanks for all your help

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

An SSD is a hard-drive so i do not understand your question about SSD's going alongside HDD's.

As for what to upgrade next? I notice that you are using the now discontinued socket 1156 CPU but that is fair enough as you say you have had the PC for a few years. Your CPU is pretty reasonable and compares favorably with the socket 1155 i5 2500K. It would help if you could post your motherboard.

Watercooling is not really going to add anything to your PC in terms of an upgrade.

A graphics card upgrade might be a possibility but what power supply have you and of course most importantly what is your budget?

Like this post
smithy12345j

Likes # 0

my motherboard is a gigabyte H55-UD3H PSU is a corsair GS600

and bugdet not really too much over £150

might go and get an ssd drive as now i understand what they are for, thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Hmm £80 or so for a SSD, does not leave much for a decent upgrade.I would see how you go after you have installed and set up your SSD. You will probably need advice on how to move all your MY folders to your bigger drive or else you will quickly fill up a 128GB SSD. That is simple enough though.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry to but in with a supplementary question to Chronus, but to reinstall W7 plus other programmes like Photoshop CS5 would take me ages as the updates would take forever (original CD's about 18 months old, pre SP1). Do you somehow make a slipstreamed version with the updates?Forgive the intrusion, smithy.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I found the way to make re-installation a hell of a lot quicker is by going here: Win 7 with SP1 .iso downloading the version that matches your own, be it Premium,Ultimate or professional, burn to disk and install using your C O A. You will still have a fair bit of updating to do but I find I can have Windows 7 and my programs done in an hour and a half or so.

I also find this useful for install some of the more popular programs many of us use.Ninite.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features