We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem after switching from IE7 to IE 8 ( and IE9

palinka
Resolved

Likes # 0

My OS is Vista & my browser is IE7

But at times recently I’ve found that scroll bars won’t move, nor do the associated arrows have an effect. Also IE7 is at times unwilling to close - clicking the close X results in the entire window turning pale and nothing functions. Sometimes a message displays :IE is not responding ; Windows is checking for a solution. It never finds one. And sometimes I find that when I have shut down, my computer has only gone to sleep (No, I didn’t hit the sleep button by mistake.) Last week I decided to move from IE7 to IE8 .

But after completing the download and installation I was unable to connect to the Internet at all.

When I typed a url IE itself auto-offered the following:

"IE cannot display the webpage............. What you can try:
Diagnose connection problems ..." - if I click that it eventually says “WWWwhatever site I’m trying to connect to” is not set up to establish a connection on port “World Wide Web service (HTTP)” with this computer. Verify the current proxy server configuration." What does all that mean????

Alternatively there is a “more information” button; if I click that I get suggestions like - you have no connection to the internet, blah, blah – clearly not true as I can send and receive email (via Windows Mail, as usual) although any link in an email cannot be opened and all I could see was a red X in an otherwise empty box. I did a Sys Restore and, back in IE7, all was OK again. Decided to try again, this time with IE9 – exactly the same problem as with IE8.

Surely I’m not the only person who’s had this problem. Please – can someone suggest a solution. I’m now back once again

I’m now back, yet again, on IE7, in order to write to PCAdvisor,, amongst other things.

I use Free AVG and that is updated daily and scans daily. I also run Malwarebytes, superantispyware and Housecall from time to time. None of them has found anything nasty in recent days or weeks.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Type ipconfig /flushdns into command prompt and press enter on your keypad.It should tell you that the DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Or try Tools.Internet Options.Advanced and press restore advanced settings.

If that does not work press reset,That resets Internet explorer to its original state,Not sure if you loose your Favorites doing that or not.

Go into Services and scroll down to DNS Client and make sure it is set to automatic and is running.

Firewall.If using a different Firewall than Windows switch it off temporarily to see if it makes any difference.

Make sure your java and Flash programs are up to date if not remove the old ones and then download the new versions.

Taskmanager.Under processes check what is using up most of the CPU when trying to open I/E,If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% this is normal,If anything else using up most of the cpu let us know what.

[port “World Wide Web service (HTTP]] Makes me think it is a Firewall problem.

[Verify the current proxy server configuration] If you don't use Dial up go to Tools Internet options,Connections.make sure never dial a connection is dotted then click on Lan settings,And make sure automatically detect settings, ok apply ok. Now while still in there check underneath and if use a proxy server is ticked untick it as a few Viruses hide in there.

If it was ticked and you have unticked it download and run HitmanPro and run that.If it finds any nasties you have to activate the product key to remove them.

If none of those work I would download Firefox and use that it is much quicker.

Also check in Device Manager that you have no exclamation marks on any of the devices.An unsigned driver can also give the same sort of problems that you are getting.

Also check that you have enough disc space and memory.

Maybe download and run C Cleaner to get rid of all of the trash if you don't already use it.

That should give you a few things to try out.

I would check out proxy server first if that is ticked and you don't use dial up you could have a few Virus problems.

Like this post  
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks for all that , Buteman. I'll start working through it today and let you know the outcome.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Buteman - I did everything you advised ; and it had no effect at all! (and most of it was already set as you suggested it should be.) I ran Ccleaner again (I already use that) and finally I downloaded Firefox. I suppose it will take time to get used to it and there are some features that I don't like (eg tabbed browsing); but it is certainly quick and it avoids some of the minor glitches that I'd recently encountered in IE! So I'll stick with it for a while. Thanks very much for your help.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

palinka

I had the same sort of problems with I/E that's why I normally use Firefox now.

I usually go back to I/E when I am downloading something that I do not need to save.

With Firefox you have to save everything to your computer before you can run it.That's about the only problem that bothers me with it.

If you don't have an ad-blocker Adblock Plus works well with it you can download it from add-ons.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July