We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hi! Help needed

aerisgainsborough

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, just joined as im getting fed up with my netbook ! Im having all sorts of problems and its getting to the stage where i hate it ! ive had it for about a year so far.

Hopefully someone can help with the problems i have. Firstly, Im having a problem with the main screen. It used to have a yuck logo as its a packard bell dot s netbook. So it doesnt have full windows 7 However this has dissapeard for some reason. I know i cant have any wallpaper on it but is there anything i can do to make it look better ? LOL

I cant get it connected to my partners live box wireless either it just wont work , which is another prob im having. It attempts to connect but wont. We spent days trying to get it connected but i dont know whats wrong. I suspect its my dot s thats the problem

Im also having problems with getting rid of tamara tmp? even though 02 dongle uninstalled ages ago.

If anyone can help id be very grateful before i go mad !

Thank you , hope ive posted this in the right place sorry if i havent !

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

What exactly do you mean by "it doesn't have a full Windows 7"? You can have any wallpaper (or theme) you like as the screen background. Just right click on the desktop, select "Personalise" and go from there.

What exactly is your partner's "live box wireless" and your "dot s"? These terms mean nothing. Need a lot more and clearer information please.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I would imagine the poster means he has Windows starter edition on this netbook.Dot S.

Here is a way of changing the background in the starter edition. Personalise.

As for connecting your Dot S to your Xbox I think with Windows 7 starter edition you will have a bit of a problem. There is plenty of reading here.Google.

Like this post
aerisgainsborough

Likes # 0

Thank you. Sorry. The dot s only has windows 7 starter. The live box is the orange network router. Its not an xbox. Sorry i should of given a little more info.

We cant get my dot s connected to the router.

Thank you both

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

To connect to the router you will need to know the password. I have just taken ownership of my first laptop and connected it to my broadband very simply. It was just a question of finding my wi-fi clicking on connect the typing in the password.

Can you tell me exactly what you are doing and what problems you are having and post any error messages etc.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Just to follow up on Chronus' excellent advice, the password should be on a plate/sticker on the back, or under, the router.

To setup your broadband initially, go to Control Panel, select Network and Sharing Centre and then setup a new connection. You should have no trouble.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

the password should be on a plate/sticker on the back. I very much hope that the password on the router sticker is not the one that he is using and that he has changed it to one of his own.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

the password should be on a plate/sticker on the back. I very much hope that the password on the router sticker is not the one that he is using and that he has changed it to one of his own.

Like this post
aerisgainsborough

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone, we have the key number etc, but its still not working. Have been putting the security number in and it still wont connect. To start with, it had come up tamara tmp instead of the livebox network ( orange ) that has now gone but it attempts to connect but fails? I have tried the nework sharing but it wont continue past adding his to mine if that makes sense?!

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Sony Xperia Z3 launch live video: press conference IFA 2014

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Alienware's Area-51 gaming desktop reborn as a powerful Haswell-E-packing triangle

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September