We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Opinion's on Microsoft Security Essentials?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just seeking people's opinions on Microsoft Security Essentials, and whether this product is as good as Microsoft claims?.

Previously on all the computer's I have used, it as always been the case of using product's like Avast or SuperAntiSpyware as a defence from possible outside upsets.

Microsoft firewall's have not always had a top slot, perhaps like other product's. ZoneAlarm being perhaps one of the higher recommendations in the past. Does Microsoft use a firewall in Microsoft Essentials, and if so, what is the opinion on that?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

MSE is good but recent reviews put Avast above it. It does not include a firewall.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Although I use Avira (free) , the good thing about MSE is that it updates regularly and seems it is quite reliable. I use the windows 7 own firewall now I have it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

MSE + windows own firewall (Vista or W7 not XP) is an adequate real time antivirus protection.

Back it up with the free version of Malwarebytes and or SAS for a weekly scan

with Spywareblaster as a blocker and something to filter the spam from your e-mails and your protected well enough.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have used MSE for a while now with Windows firewall,seems fine.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

No question about it for me-MSE is well up with the best of the free offers and most of the purchased software too. I have used it for two years now with secondary back up programmes like Malwarebytes , Spybot and Rapport. AVG is good but slow on scans. I take the view that getting PC security right would be something that Microsoft consider essential and that they cannot afford to fall behind on.

I suspect that, as I read it is now the second most popular security software in use worldwide, it must be doing something right!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not that keen on it but have used it in the past.

If it was any good Microsoft would be selling it not giving it away free.

Don't like the Anti-Spyware part of it as it reacts to other security programs especially on XP.

I always had to turn that off when I was using XP.

Don't know if it has changed it's download habit of downloading with Windows updates.

Not sure if you can remove those updates now but you could not when it first came out.

I would say a middle of the road Anti-Virus it's ok but not great.

I would place it in the same category as Windows Defender not something I would want on this computer.

It does not have a Firewall with it but if you are using W/7 that firewall is ok to use.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

So the general feeling is that 'it does the job', and not another one of the programs that Microsoft like to introduce from time to time,perhaps as a bait for something further along the line!.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

spuds

Its fine as long as you have a decent Anti-Malware program to use along with it.

My old theory is any Anti-Virus program as long as you have one pay for Anti_Malware program that gives you full time protection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......