We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My internet connection has dropped by half.

Sapins

Likes # 0

My desktop has a 3GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, 1.5GB of RAM, an NVidia GeForce 6200 video card and is running Windows 7 Home Premium. I am paying Orange for a connection of up to 20MB but the most I have had is 14MB.

The connection speed has dropped by half for no apparant reason. The line was checked this morning by a France Telecom engineer who found that the connection at the main telephone point was 15MB and at the router was 14MB but I am only getting a connection speed at the computer of 7.4MB which appears not to be enough for using Skype which I tried yesterday to speak to relatives in New Zealand, very poor that was!. Is the fault with the router which is fairly new or the computer which is in fact running slowly? I have changed the filters on the telephone points (2) I have Ashampoo continuous defrag running and I have checked for viruses, I have also "cleaned" up the C drive using Windows Tools. I have also removed some programmes I no longer use. Would a slow computer reduce the amount of the connection and what else can I do to speed things up, I am considering a new computer but I prefer not to do that If I can avoid it. Well I wouldn't really mind a new conputer!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Connect the router to the main telephone socket and retest to eliminate internal wiring.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat/\0/\

I should have made it clearer, the engineer tested the line I am using for the router, which is not the main point, somehow the connection is much less after the router. I have conacted Netgear to see if they can help and I am going to remove all my programmes one by one to see if I can find the cause.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

FB

Unless things have change since I lived there, the French master sockets don't have the test point that ours have.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. reset the router to default
  2. re enter password and user name. retry

if connected by cable try another port off the router or try by wireless

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Still the same, no test point on the socket, he just unplugged the cable from the telephone socket and plugged it into his meter. Netgear have replied and suggested I reset the router and then do all the settings manually not using the wixard, which I will try this pm.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

I have followed Netgears advice and it has made no difference to the connection speed. I may try another router next.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Long story, I bought a Netgear router some years ago, with wireless dongle, dongle not working, Netgear sent me a new one in a box with another router and all cables etc:, problem with original router changed to replacement, now gone back to original and redid all settings and I am now getting 12MB.

The funny thing is I am using all the cables as before, only changed router. I think I will try the other router just to see if it was the settings causing the problems.

By the way we ARE going to get a new computer!

Thanks to all who helped, much appreciated,

Regards,

Sapins.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED