We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems: XP 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit Professional

exdragon

Likes # 0

I'm still having problems with this: the 64-bit disc is being reported as the setup.exe not being a valid Win32 application. There was also another message saying the disc isn't compatible with the operating system. We've tried booting with the disc in and also booting up and then putting the disc in (following 2 different sets of instructions, one from the MS website and the other from the booklet which came with the disc).

The BIOS is ok, set to boot from the CD/DVD drives first. The 32-bit disc boots as you would expect.

Obviously doing something wrong, but can anyone help before murder happens in this household?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A damaged disk perhaps? you could download and burn an .ISO from here Win 7 .iso, with the added bonus that it already has SP1 slipstreamed into it saving time on updating after initial install.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Are these the instructions you are following? enter link description here

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

northumbria61 - yes

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In that case I suggest you follow the advice of Chronus

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Sorry - I don't understand. Why can't I just use the disc I've bought?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I don't understand. Why can't I just use the disc I've bought?

A damaged disk perhaps?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it boots ok from the 32bit dvd then it must be prob with the 64bit disk, either it is scratched or dirty or something.

Microsoft's 'Custom option' is just to tell the pc to shut down and boot from the DVD.

So miss that step out and just boot from the W7 dvd.

Also you should only have one harddrive attached (to prevent problems), so disconnect any others and other equipment, printer etc. while you install W7.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just wondering if your board supports running a 64-bit OS as the error shows not a valid Win 32 application?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You can't 'upgrade' 32 to 64 as such.

Further info, moving onto 'double install' method (if needed)

64 bit processor is of course essential, as mentioned.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

All sorted and it's now working through 106 updates.

Believe it or not, once we disconnected the CD drive, it installed. Heaven knows what that had to do with it, but there you go!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...