We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone any experience of home computer texting?

manrow

Likes # 0

Where I live, only O2 offers a nearly workable voice and text reception system.

Is it possible to set up my home computer to send/receive at least texts through a broadband connection?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes you can, I looked into this a while back, Firstly to learn more about it - do a google for:

send receive texts online

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Free text via PC

I have no experience of this, and you would probably find more similar via Google.

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

Thank you, I have tried the google route but in view of the worldwide audience I prefer to ask on this website for the sort of advice I can trust.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In that case it would be better to post the details of your pc system OS and say who your ISP is and how your broadband connects to the internet (cable, adsl, dongle wifi, etc.) and which program/client you are interested in using. From your first post it sounded as if you had no background knowledge of pc sms.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I have used CardBoardFish on rare occasions before. May be similar to Nontek's link above.

Read the FAQs etc. I haven't used it sufficiently to be knowledgeable

Not difficult but it's not perfect (not clear who the sender is unless you sign it manually eg love manrow). Best to practice on an O2/Tesco SIM with old unlocked or new £10 handset.

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

lotvic, if it helps my OS is Vista, my ISP is Sky.

On another tech website I was told to connect to the wifi broadband router, (which I have wirelessly)and then the respondent said he was able to send texts from his mobile iphone in his home area where reception otherwise was almost non-existent?

As things are I can receive emails promptly on my mobile (Samsung Galaxy), but there is only 1 room in the house where I can send/receive texts.

Is there an answer?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features