We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista desktop not responding to cursor

xuroys

Likes # 0

My computer has frozen - it opens to the desktop and the cursor works but if I try to click on any icon nothing happens. I tried the repair program but nothing has changed, also tried safe mode but still nothing !! HELP !!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried starting in safe mode,Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.And if it lets you in try last good configuration or a system restore.

Also check device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the devices.

Like this post
xuroys

Likes # 0

I already tried safe mode but nothing responds to the cursor. I have to turn off by disconnecting from mains so impossible to check device manager. I did manage to restore (via task manager & dos) to 2 days ago but that didn't help. Could the problem be the video card working loose ?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

xuroys

Not sure about that but it would do no harm to check and see.Maybe also check that the Memory sticks are connected properly.

Best waiting till someone else can give you the advice that you need.

Probably wont work but press the windows key and R at the same time and the run program will open type cmd and then type sfc /scannow and see if that will run.

Maybe disconnect anything plugged into your usb ports to see if that makes any difference.

Like this post
xuroys

Likes # 0

Now the desktop has vanished, leaving a blank screen but with a cursor which still works !! Windows key + R didn't work but I got a cmd window via task manager and it is running the scannow program but I did something similar yesterday and it didn't work. If this does't work I think I will try opening up the case and aking sure nothing is loose.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's safer for your pc to switch it off by holding in the Power Button for about 10-15 secs rather than switching off at the mains electric plug.

Have you tried a different mouse? it is possible to just use the keyboard to navigate, for the keys to press, google for 'no mouse use keyboard'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Q3 2014 financial results: Apple announces record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer