We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to fix a dead laptop

estuary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Our 2 year old laptop suddenly went completely dead on us last night. We were in the middle of doing an update and after trying to do a restart the screen went black. There was a message that very quickly went across the screen but too fast to read. The message started with a red cross. I cannot get any life out of it at all either on battery and mains. Any ideas what it could be ? Is it worth trying a new power supply ?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Remove the battery and the power cable then hold down the Start button for 50 seconds then plug the power cable back on and see if it will start without the battery.

If it starts you can then replace the battery as well.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestion but still no joy.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

have you tried gently moving the power cable where it enters the Laptop to see if it makes any connection at all.or maybe change the fuse on the plug.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

I tried another cable which I know is ok. Also the battery is fully charged so it must be an internal fault.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry estuary I only have a limited knowledge of Laptops when trying to repair my Grandaughters,So will have to leave it for someone else to give you the advice that you need.

Try the first fix again and this time when you are holding the start switch on hold on to a radiator at the same time.And when starting without the battery hold the radiator at the same time again.

I know it sounds silly but it worked for me when the first try did not work.

All it does is help remove any static in the Laptop,Worth another try I suppose.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

Gave it another shot,still the same. It looks like an expensive repair job or I own a very expensive door stop!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If there is no sign of power and in your own words "completely dead" (ie. no lights,no sound of fans running etc)and you have tried all of buteman's suggestions then it does sound like a hardware failure. Have you checked to see if it is still within Warranty?

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

No sign of life whatsoever. The warranty expired nearly a year ago.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

CMOS battery should be Ok if only 2 years old.It was not loosing any time or date changes before it went down.

Just wondering if it was completely dead whether the laptop would still work or not.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

Date and time spot on . This incident happened so quickly I think it must be a hardware failure. Goodness knows what or how to determine where to look first.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......