We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to fix a dead laptop

estuary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Our 2 year old laptop suddenly went completely dead on us last night. We were in the middle of doing an update and after trying to do a restart the screen went black. There was a message that very quickly went across the screen but too fast to read. The message started with a red cross. I cannot get any life out of it at all either on battery and mains. Any ideas what it could be ? Is it worth trying a new power supply ?

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

The laptop is mainly used by my wife. She has various spreadsheets ,correspondence and family photographs stored. Thank goodness I have been a very good boy and backed up all her work to an external hard drive. If I had not done that I can imagine a large pall of blue smoke above our house for a few days and I would be on reduced rations.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You should be able to connect the HDD to another PC using a caddy (check connection type probably a SATA hard drive) and extract all the data.

caddies

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

might just be worth trying this: remove what you can (power from wall, battery, memory, hard drive, dvd drive) and put back power to wall and memory - what happens when you switch on? Then (without power) put back each other item one at a time and switch on.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

Just to update . I spent some time this weekend trying to fix the laptop but with no success. I decided therefore not to proceed any further as repair costs could be expensive.So I stripped out the hard drive and ordered a caddy so at least I will have a spare backup drive. It's a shame really as this is first time I have had one fail on me but at least I have had two years out of it.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Purchasing a new laptop would at least give you a twelve month warranty if things go wrong, and a more modern machine, plus the 'reduced' prices of laptops nowadays is probably the best move. Repairs can be expensive and not always the cheaper solution in the long term.

Good luck with the new purchase.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

once you use the caddy on a different computer you will be able to check it for virus's etc or even a chkdsk to make sure that was not the problem.

Only 2 years old it may have been worth taking it to your local computer shop to see if they would have an easy fix for it.They will do all the checks for the problem and it may well be something simple. Find out what they charge for checking it out.if £20 it would be worth it just to find out for sure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

Lenovo has created its own 'Google Glass'