We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

emachines d620 vista basic laptop connecting to internet

denis93

Likes # 0

when trying to connect to virgin media hub,laptop says "its taking to long to connect to the internet" and "this computer is connected to virginxxxxxxx but does not have access to the internet." x=virgin media numbers i dont want to put on here. ps. a virgin media engineer once told me to install an arheros network card on the laptop,but i dont know how to do that.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

connected by wire or wireless to the router?

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

pps. the other two laptops i have are connecting with no problems,so i know my virgin 30gb hub is working ok.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

wireless fruitbat,the virgin guy said get an atheros into it.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

i spelt atheros wrong in the first post,sorry

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

still no luck yet

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

the virgin guy said get an atheros into it.

Why?

your current wireless card is working if you can connect to the router.

On the desktop on the bottom right (where the clock is) you will see either 2 computers connected together or a wireless icon. Right click on this and select "Network and Sharing Center"

A network will appear and you should see "view status" across on the right from the connection.

Click "view status" (In W7 choose "local area connection".)

You will either see a box come up which says at the top "local Area Connection Status" or "Wireless Network Connection Status"

Click on properties.

Click Internet Protocol Version 4 to highlight and click properties.

In the General tab, select "obtain DNS server address automatically" and the click OK.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

fruit bat,did all that,still no internet on it,you see were it says network and sharing centre,it says annette pc,then a wee yellow triangle,then unidentified network,then a red x,then a globe under the globe it says internet,btw annette is my sister the owner of the vista basic laptop.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

the virgin guy said the atheros is the only compatible network with virgin media super hub,hes prob talking rubbish,i dont know

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

,then unidentified network

you need to connect to the network by entering your network password in the wireless configuration settings

see here

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

ps.fruit bat were it says ipv4 connectivity it says limited

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks