We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Aspire 5742

dlguk

Likes # 0

Has anyone had occasion to contact Acer to get a Win 7 and resource disc. I downloaded Win 7 ISO then realised that I wouldn't have the necessary drivers, stupid eh :S. I need a 'Clean Install' as the Restore to Factory settings, doesn't.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

dlguk. You have to download whichever version you have installed on the Laptop.You will find it along with the keycode on the underside of the laptop.You want the 64 Bit not the 86 version.

Caddy like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-ENCLOSURE/dp/B002UZO07C/ref=sr11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1333405638&sr=1-1

You can then install it on any other computer Via Usb and save what you need before installing the new version of W/7 Sp1.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Hi and sorry for the delay, I did download Win7 home premium 64bit onto a USB Flash Drive. I have Paragon HDM 11, so I could backup the 'factory restore' capsule as I guess the installation will 'wipe' the hard drive.

Oh btw I still don't need a caddy :).

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

So underlying cause is you cannot launch Factory Restore? Not that it is corrupted?

You could try using Paragon to mark the Recovery Partition 'Unhidden' and 'Active' and reboot to see if it starts manually.

If it doesn't work you can set the original boot partition (System or C:) back to Active to get back to where you started.

That would need a Paragon Boot CD or, if you don't have one, Partition Wizard Bootable CD can do it.

Or just boot from new W7 Install DVD and install W7 as you planned.

Nothing to stop you backing up the Recovery Partition, beforehand as you mentioned.

But if it doesn't work and nothing useful can be extracted, it may only useful 'just in case' sometime in future.

And if you have some sort of working Windows at the moment DoubleDriver will back up existing drivers. Saves messing about finding them individually later perhaps.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Hi, 1. I can restore to factory settings but it doesn't fix the probs I have 2. I have three partitions Acer C, PQ Service and System Reserved 3. I have created a bootable Paragon disc

Thank you

Dave

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

By coincidence I have an Acer Aspire 5742 in front of me now. Came in for repair a few days ago. The hidden partition on this can be accessed via the Acer eRecovery Management to restore to factory settings. Press the ALT key + F10 keys on boot up. (When the POST screen offers F2 to enter setup)

Or have you already tried that?

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

I have only restored using eRecovery Management, but the whole point of this exercise is to Clean Install of Win7 without all the junk courtesy of Acer. I install my own utilities, thank for your post.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Having just done exactly the same this morning I was surprised how little amount of junk there was. Took me no longer than 30 minutes to remove the bloatware using Revo Uninstaller. Weighing that up against the time spent downloading the drivers, the Acer specific software to optimise the hardware (Power Management, Webcam, Intel chipset software etc) there can't be much in it!

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks to all who helped.

I downloaded w/7 from the site Buteman gave, the other site is also very well laid out and simple to follow. I burned the iso. DVD, followed the instructions from the second site, once complete and rebooted I have Windows running fine plus I of course now have an OS DVD. I am planning on replacing my HDD with an SSD so the DVD plus the drivers I d/loaded (only five required) should see me with a speedy little machine. Regards all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers