We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Aspire 5742

dlguk

Likes # 0

Has anyone had occasion to contact Acer to get a Win 7 and resource disc. I downloaded Win 7 ISO then realised that I wouldn't have the necessary drivers, stupid eh :S. I need a 'Clean Install' as the Restore to Factory settings, doesn't.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

£60 odd from Acer.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You can download any drivers from the Acer site just click on the make and model and it will tell you what drivers are available.

Looks like you can get a new Acer Updates as well now.

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

download for free from Acer Support

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

buteman's link better as is for UK (mine was .com)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Win 7 comes with a great many drives any that you need then get then from the above links.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Thank you all, to the more Techy amongst you would you say that downloading from http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ then installing Win 7 64 I should be ok??

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure if this is the same site but I downloaded mine from here.

http://techdows.com/2011/07/download-windows-7-integrated-with-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html

You can also buy a caddy from Amazon For about £4-£5 so that you can save any programs or photos etc from your old hard drive.

What is actually wrong with your laptop is it the hard drive that has gone.

I found this on the Internet today but I have never tried it.

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Should have added I downloaded W/7 Sp1 from that site and ran it on a Acer Aspire 5334 I think it was and when it had finished downloading it connected to the Internet straight away and then I just had to update a few Drivers One for the keyboard one for the broadcom connection and then updated the chipsets.

Now if there is any way to save the Factory settings that may be a good idea.

I would definately go for the caddy to see what you can save.

Oops sorry I was thinking it was a new hard drive that you were going to install.

Remember you will need the keycode for W/7 at the bottom of the laptop.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

hi buteman

It is a similar site but I do notice that the numbers are different. I am not sure about x86 and x64, I know I want 64bit but which one to download?

Ty for your thread

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

It's ok I guessed what you meant about the caddy but I just send the last post as yours arrived. The one you sent was Win 7 home premium 64 bit, right? If so that seems fine to me. Oh the probs. I have are too numerous to mention, suffice it to say I really do require a clean install'

I will let you know the bother I am having if you want to know, will be tomorrow now.

Thank you again, really appreciate it.

Dave ps I have a product key

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'