We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

changing screen and lid on laptop

mikki16

Likes # 0

Hi I have 2 Toshiba laptops and the screen on one of them is black it boots up but no picture come on. I have another Toshiba the same size and wonder how to take the lid / screen and transfer to the other one. any one any ideas ?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a look here:

Screen change

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tosh Satellite screen removal here

Hardest bit I found was removing the bezel

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Are the two Toshibas almost identical models? Specifically the chassis and the location of the screws on the underside in the corners nearest the hinges. I recently swapped a complete lid with screen between an HP and a Compaq laptop because they were absolutely identical.

If they aren't you will have to follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link and remove both screens. A right fiddly job as he says. The next problem you are likely to encounter are the wiring connectors - are they identical? In my experience Toshiba use different ones depending on where the actual panel was sourced. Strongly recommend you strip the donor machine to inspect these before complete disassembly. Then do similar with the other machine and compare.

You may then find that you need to remove the entire lid assemblies which will involve stripping off the keyboard and plastic bezels around it to reveal the Video cable connectors on the motherboard. It might help if you posted both model numbers and we'll point you at some service manuals!!!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Here is the best source of laptop manuals I've found

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

May only need the Backlight Inverter module swapping over.

(still requires screen housing disassembly of course)

Shine a torch on black screen to see if faint picture.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - Great link!

roinofloxley - if that is the case it might be easier to buy one rather than swap them over ;0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)