We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beeps, not expected system sounds

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Recently, for reasons I'm not clear about, when I get some sort of error condition where I'd normally expect to hear a Windows 'system sound' through my desk speakers (e.g. I just got a 'plugin unresponsive' message on Chrome, and I earlier got an error message in Outlook - I don't recall what), I'm just getting a 'beep' from my PC case speaker. What happened - and how do I fix it? Windows XP, SP2.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

check what you have set in:

control panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds (tab)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Ah, thanks Lotvic. I'd checked there, but this time, I noticed that under 'Sound Scheme', nothing was selected. The choices in the drop-down are 'No Sounds' and 'Windows Default' - so I've selected the latter. We'll see if that fixes it. (It was a strange error, because it was inconsistent - the 'speaker sound' wasn't replaced by the 'system beep' for every error message.) I wonder how it happened that the option got unselected, as everything was previously working OK. Oh well...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Strange that, when I had a look at mine it also had nothing selected (am on little Thinkpad whilst redecorate other room). Perhaps an update altered it, but shouldn't have, maybe as you say - just one of those things.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Lotvic: I guess, if you think about it, it just takes one '0' to turn into a '1', or vice versa...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, just one O those things.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites