We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I make my Firefox bookmarks available to another user?

polymath

Likes # 0

Having been sole user (A) of a Vista Home Premium SP2 laptop with just 1 user account, I've created a 2nd user account for the first time. It's a for my spouse (B), for whom it'll be a first foray into using a computer (the main purpose being finding things out from the web). Firefox 12.0 is the default browser in both accounts.

Is there any way I can allow user B access to my bookmark collection, and without merging the 2 libraries? (I'd like to provide a blank canvas for user B's bookmarks, but with some way of accessing mine whenever useful).

Account A is admin, B non-admin. In our case, it would be safe to remove the password-protection of either/both most of the time, if that helps.

I've also asked in Mozilla's Firefox forum, but may get a quicker response here. (Meanwhile, I'm trying to find out if there's any way via Xmarks).

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The followuing could be one method:

Firefox Profile Mamager allows you to select a Profile at Startup.

Set up new FF as Spouse (B) default and Polymath as 2nd profile.

Use Mozbackup in Your Windows acct first to backup your settings and bookmarks (and in case something goes wrong)

In Spouse's windows acct, use Mozbackup to restore the backup to Polymath profile.

So there will now be two independent Polymath profiles, identical at first, in each of the Windows accts.

FF Sync (Tools/Options/Sync) can be set not to merge but always to sync from the FF server. But I'm not sure if it handles the profiles correctly or is 'global'.

Have a play, if you used Mozbackup, it's easy to recover if you mess up.

Otherwise just Sync by a manual method/app every now and again.

nc (Tools/options/Sync can be set

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Edit: disregard last line repeated in error above.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Many thanks! I'll try that tomorrow & report back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...