We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need help to understand how div tags work

canderous

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I have been following a simple tutorial that uses a template and I have learnt a few things about web design from that.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get div tags and images to behave in the way that I want them to. The tutorial is great for showing me other basics but I feel like I really need someone to explain to me in really simple terms how div tags work and how I can get everything to behave in the way that I want it to.

From what I can tell the core template of a website is just there to hold images and text. As long as I don't change the template I am able to insert images and text with no problems. This is the template I have used so far: http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/ianhudson2/sitetemplateprintscreen.jpg

However, I want my website to have a template basically like this: http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/ianhudson2/Whatiwantmysitetolooklikerough.jpg When I go to change the template I cannot get anything to work in the way I could before and I am really struggling to work out simple thins. I think what I need most is someone to simply explain step by step how to make my template and explain why everything behaves the way it does.

If anyone could offer any help with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Like this post
canderous

Likes # 0

Yeah I think you are right, I will have to build the layout all myself. That answers half my question.

As far as I know Adobe Dreamweaver is my best bet for building the layout myself. However, I think I need someone experienced with Dreamweaver to help me through the process of building my layout step by step.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...