We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help needed please - Outlook 2000 to Windows 7

Mittens

Likes # 0

Please can somebody help me?

I've got my new laptop and have got Outlook 2000 installed OK, I've saved all my contacts and emails from my old PC in a backup.pst file, which I've got saved on my new desktop.

When I try to import the file into Outlook 2000 I get an error message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart Outlook".

Also, when I open Outlook I get a box come up asking if I want to allow the following programme (Outlook.exe) from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Outlook 2000 is not supported on Windows 7. There are some work rounds but you will probably find problems with the address book and saving of email passwords.

You could be better moving to a later version of Outlook or switching to Windows Live Mail.

Like this post
Mittens

Likes # 0

So if I move to Windows Live Mail, will I be able to import all my emails and contacts?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's not straightforward. Do you still have the old laptop?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have a look at this Outlook 2000 to Live Mail

Like this post
Mittens

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell - yes I still have the old PC. I really would much prefer to continue to use Outlook 2000 if possible, so if anybody can tell me in words of one syllable how to import my emails and address book it would be great.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

The problem is that Outlook 2000 is a very old program. You could try running it in XP compatibility mode if your version of W7 has it.

Alternatively go back to your old Pc open Outlook 2000 and export contacts as csv files and then import into Windows Live Mail. You can try that with e-mails too but you may lose some text.

It may be better to use Thunderbird on the old system import from Outlook and then transfer that across. Or install a trial version of Outlook 2010 in the new laptop, import your saved pst files and then transfer to Thunderbird.

Sorry this seems complicated but Microsoft uses pst with Outlook which isn't really recognised by anything else.

Like this post
Mittens

Likes # 0

Looks as though I'll have to say goodbye to Outlook 2000 then and go with WLM or perhaps Thunderbird. Thanks again for your help.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Mittens

2003 is the 'oldest' version of Office/Outlook which runs happily in Windows 7 if you can get your hands on a copy.

That's what I run at home with no problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'