We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Build or buy my own PC?

svogtuk

Likes # 0

Hi

I am planning to buy myself a desktop as my laptop is going towards 5 years and is starting to struggle with what I use it for. I will keep using it as a work station.

Personally I have never built a desktop myself yet I am interested in giving it a shot. Question now is if it is worth building it on my own or if it is cheaper to buy one?

My budget is £1000 max. I need everything apart from speakers and a mouse. Use my system mainly for music, photo editing, Autocad software and the occasional gaming (Total War Series games) to give you an idea.

Things I was looking at so far:

Case: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Includes fans

CPU/Processor: one of the Ivy Bridge series

Motherboard: one of these, not sure as to what i need.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/pc-upgrades/3352375/intel-ivy-bridge-7-series-motherboards-tested/?zk=upgrade

PSU/Power Supply: how much do I need to power my system? Coolers: apart from a CPU cooler do I need additonal cooling (the case includes fans)

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit

Hard Drive: 1TB what type

Graphics Card: was looking at this, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Sound Card: do I need one?

CD-ROM/DVD drive:

As you can see I don't really know anything about building one. But there is always time to learn.

Advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Stephan

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The general consensus is it's cheaper to buy.

However, building is much more fun, and tremendously satisfying.

There is nothing quite like the feeling you get as your O/S of choice kicks in on the monitor, and when you're 75 it's also quite good when you are in a crowd of thirty somethings and you happen to drop into the conversation that you built your own PC!

Like this post
jimbojetset69

Likes # 0

hi steven i am at the moment building my own pc each week i go to the pc shop and bye some thing it is very satisfying as my little bundle grows each week i wont brag but i have bought the higher end of the stuff spending around £250 each week so far my build is £1019 and i still have to get a ssd & a good end graphic card . i would get your self ssd as boot drive and leave your 1 tb for other things as you like music and editing as these can eat away at your hard drive as for a sound card its not necessary as the latest m/b have good sound but i have got a good one from before so il just transfer it over to my new build looking on your stuff that is more than ok and it is very much cheaper to build than to by so far i have googled all my parts to what ayou would get if i was to bye it and i have saved well over £400 pounds all ready so its up to you good luck

Like this post
svogtuk

Likes # 0

This is what I have so far

• CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced, • Intel Core i5 3570k ivy bridge, • Asus P8Z77-V LE, • Corsair AX850 Power Supply, (how much do I need, seems a bit much) • Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, OS: Win 7 home prem.

What I still need:

CPU cooler SSD for OS possible HDD Monitor? Sound Card? do I need one? CD-ROM/DVD drive

Any suggestions, changes and tips for the things above? Getting on the expensive side. Stephan

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You can drop the PSU down to a 550W which is plenty,you do not need a cooler as the stock ones that come with your CPU are pretty good these days and unless you were going to over-clock then stick with the stock cooler.

SSD's are pretty particularly for a 128GB which is the minimum these days.Go for a Crucial M4 as there reviews are good, but any good brand will do.

Sound card,not really necessary these days on-board sound is more than enough for most people.

CD/DVD any will do.

Monitor depends on what you want,big/3D etc etc and how much you want to spend.

You will need a Sata HDD for storage, nothing less than 500GB but bigger if you have a big music/film/photo collection.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Stick the word cheap after SSD's are pretty.

Like this post
svogtuk

Likes # 0

• CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced, • Intel Core i5 3570k ivy bridge, • Asus P8Z77-V LE, • Corsair TX650 V2 Power Supply, • Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, OS: Win 7 home prem. • Crucial M4 128GB • WD 1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB • Asus DRW-24B3ST SATA Internal 24X DVD±RW Drive • Asus 24-inch VH242H Wide Gaming LCD TFT Monitor • Win 7 home prem and a keyboard

comes to around £1050 all together if I buy from amazon

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A quick price check,£963 including delivery from Scan Computing. £922 including delivery from Ebuyer.

You could also have a look at Novatech.

One thing I should mention as it is easily forgotten, you will need a small tube of thermal paste fot the CPU/heatsink.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have you considered buying a motherboard bundle, then adding extra memory and a good graphics card.

You may find this is more cost effective and you get the system you want built and tested, all you need to do is upgrade it to what you want.

i note that for the operating system you have selected XP home premium. I suggest (unless you have reason not to) go for the Window 7- best version you can afford.

Some links

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;ylt=A0geu8N55tFPiX8AmNLBQx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcxNzAwMwRfcgMyBGNzcmNwdmlkA0c3dldJa29HNzFUUXZHWHRUN2pGblF0alVpTGlBMF9SNW5JQUFiZjcEZnIDeWZwLXQtNzAyBGZyMgNzZy1nYWMEaXQDZ3AEbl9ncHMDMTAEb3JpZ2luA3NycARwb3MDMwRwcXN0cgNNb3RoZXJib2FyZCBidW5kbGVzBHF1ZXJ5A01vdGhlcmJvYXJkIGJ1bmRsZXMEc2FjAzEEc2FvAzEEc2VjA3JlbC1zYQRzbGsDdGV4dA--?p=motherboard%20bundles%20quad%20core&fr2=sg-gac&fr=yfp-t-702&rd=r1&pqstr=Motherboard%20bundles

http://www.novatech.co.uk/search.html?s=bundle

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Search?free_text=bundle

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

What I have suggested is only the internals (working parts).

You will still need a case, power unit, keyboard, mouse, DVD drives etc.

Terry

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

My advice is to buy rather than build. It will probably be cheaper and you will have a warranty if things go wrong.

One other thing-never publish you email address on forums, you never know who's reading it. If nothing else, change your email password now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good