We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive replacement

dg22

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have been having problems with my laptop recently and after a visit to the local computer repairs store was told the hard drive was worn out/knackered, so am looking to replace it, but have no idea what I'm looking for (complete novice with this area).

The laptop is a Lenovo 3000 n200, good few years old, had no real problems with it up to now. Main use is a little bit of work, nothing heavy, and football manager quite a bit. I'm looking for the replacement to be adequate to deal with this and also reasonably affordable, as I am a student.

Any advice and product suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Dan

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It looks as the original had a 160GB 2.5" hard-drive and running Vista. You'll have to physically check if it's a Sata or Ide drive.I suspect Sata. Different connections shown Here.

If the original drive is still running then use it as little as possible so you can get someone to clone it. If you have the original restore to factory settings discs or the burnt ones you can use these on a new drive. Check key is still visible underneath or have you made a note of it?

Use something like Doubledriver to back-up all non Windows drivers if you can.

Back to the drive you can install a bigger hard-drive (not in physical size) such as a 250GB so long as it's 2.5".

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Levono harddrive ClickHere for discussion on which to get.

Levono 3000 N200 Drivers ClickHere

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Good links lotvic, so, if you're skint, this won't break the bank.

Like this post
dg22

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot for your help guys, appreciated.

As for installing the hard drive, is it a simple process or should I leave it in the hands of an expert?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This video shows how to change the HDD, You Tube. Do you have the recovery discs to reinstall?

Like this post
dg22

Likes # 0

No, I do not have any recovery discs for the laptop. Does this mean I should give it a pro to deal with recovery/installation after I've put the hard drive in?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As you have no Windows key and it is Vista then it will cost not only the Hard-drive but a new Vista OEM installation. Plus the 'pros' time and effort. Going to be expensive.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Do you not a Windows key on the base of your laptop,on a silver sticker perhaps.If you have get a copy of Vista from here Vista download. If you have problems activating then use the phone option.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings