We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homeplug issue. Used to work now don't?

Picklefactory
Resolved

Likes # 0

Evening folks. I have a set of homeplugs (Or powerline adapters to some) that I bought from Ebuyer a few years ago. At that time, I had a Netgear router, I got the adapters, simply plugged 'em in, and hey presto easiest network ever created, worked a treat. BUT..... poor old Netgear popped it's clogs after about a year or so, I replaced it with a Buffalo Air Station which worked well as a router but instantly scuppered the homeplugs for some reason that I could never fathom, so just gave up on them really. The Buffalo also scuppered my home wireless network too, internet was OK on laptops, phones etc but file/printer access from laptop also went belly up. Never managed to sort that either. Next BUT..... I've just had my shiny new Virgin SuperHub installed ready for my free £4 extra/mth speed upgrade(We'll see just how super that is, I suppose), so I've removed the Buffalo, re-set everything up for the new router and happy days, wireless file sharing network has reappeared with no settings changed at all on laptop, just the new router. I also have printer working through wireless network too, so all is looking good apart from the poor old homeplugs that are still failing to respond.

I have some software that was an optional install (They worked fine without it) called Power Packet, which showed what speeds were being achieved by each homeplug, but that now shows NO adapters as being visible at all.

Any ideas or experience to share at all?

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Nontek I know what you mean, maybe the brand they have are somewhat different. I've just crawled over mine to make sure I'm not missing anything and there is definitely no reset button or pin hole anywhere and nothing in the software to reset. this is why I'm confused as, like yourself, I found there was absolutely no set up involved when I first installed them, just plug and play.... literally.

I checked out info from one of the links from your Google search, and checking in the Super hub device connections, they do not appear, although the light on the super hub on the ethernet port for the adapter is lit, indicating some sort of recognised connection. If I unplug the adapter from the wall, that light goes out.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Oh well..I told you I knew nowt about them, possibly the hub is not recognising them?

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

you may need to update the homeplug firmware. I had to do that when I added an extra plug to my network.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Proclaimer How did you manage that? the Power Packet software included has no option for firmware update and I don't understand how the firmware can affect them, as there is no software required for them to work at all? the Power Packet software I have is purely optional as an install and just seems to be a sort of monitor, really...... I think?

I don't even have a manufacturer stated on the adapters, they were Ebuyer own brand items, so don't know where to look for firmware, or how to install it.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Getting somewhere.

I just remembered I had a two pairs and only ever used three. I just rummaged out the odd spare, which is unused, plugged that one into the router and I'm up and running again. Maybe my adapter is past it's sell by date and just gone orf?

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

All's well that ends well then - Thanks for your feedback!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad you're sorted but looks as the main home plug (un-used one) was at default. Looking at google have a look through, Hope the link works.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Thanks both. I've left it overnight and all running fine, so issue definitely resolved.

rdave13

Thanks for that info, but mine are similar to nonteks in that there is no reset option either via a physical means on the units or by way of the software provided, I'm afraid. These are the ones I have

Extra Value

The software (And possibly manufacturer) is from Intellon and can't find much there either, but all seems happy now anyway.

Thanks again folks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014