We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homeplug issue. Used to work now don't?

Picklefactory
Resolved

Likes # 0

Evening folks. I have a set of homeplugs (Or powerline adapters to some) that I bought from Ebuyer a few years ago. At that time, I had a Netgear router, I got the adapters, simply plugged 'em in, and hey presto easiest network ever created, worked a treat. BUT..... poor old Netgear popped it's clogs after about a year or so, I replaced it with a Buffalo Air Station which worked well as a router but instantly scuppered the homeplugs for some reason that I could never fathom, so just gave up on them really. The Buffalo also scuppered my home wireless network too, internet was OK on laptops, phones etc but file/printer access from laptop also went belly up. Never managed to sort that either. Next BUT..... I've just had my shiny new Virgin SuperHub installed ready for my free £4 extra/mth speed upgrade(We'll see just how super that is, I suppose), so I've removed the Buffalo, re-set everything up for the new router and happy days, wireless file sharing network has reappeared with no settings changed at all on laptop, just the new router. I also have printer working through wireless network too, so all is looking good apart from the poor old homeplugs that are still failing to respond.

I have some software that was an optional install (They worked fine without it) called Power Packet, which showed what speeds were being achieved by each homeplug, but that now shows NO adapters as being visible at all.

Any ideas or experience to share at all?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Try the Homeplug that is connected to the SuperHub, in a different Ethernet socket.

Or, try swapping the Ethernet cables from different homeplugs around.

Or, try a New Ethernet cable(s).

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Thanks Nontek..... 'fraid it didn't help though. No change.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't use home plugs so excuse my ignorance but is there any way to reset them to factory settings and starting again?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, strange one this - I have been using homeplugs for some time, never had any problems and as you say, the easiest network setup ever. I have never used the software, works fine without it.

Have you checked that they are indeed compatible with your new SuperHub?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, strange one this - I have been using homeplugs for some time, never had any problems and as you say, the easiest network setup ever. I have never used the software, works fine without it.

Have you checked that they are indeed compatible with your new SuperHub?

I have just checked via Google - seems you are not alone with this problem

Perhaps Virgin might have the answer.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

rdave13

I don't think so, they are really extremely simple devices, they look essentially like a power adapter for maybe a phone or some such, no buttons, or reset features I'm afraid, just plug 'em in and away you go...... in theory.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Nontek Sorry, cross posted. I'll check out your link now. Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is quite funny but worth a read, link

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

rdave13

:o)

I'm confused as hell with that. I'll get a stiff drink and re-read less sober.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

rdave13

I don't understand what those guys in your link are on about. I leave one homeplug un-connected until such time as I want to have an extra Network point - always works first-time. It is often left unused for weeks at a time. There is nothing to re-set on them!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room