We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost sound

March Wind

Likes # 0

I have lost the sound. The plugs are in. I have started to download windows SpeedMaxPC setup wizard. Is this a good idea?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You would do better to just re-install your sound drivers again,that normally sorts it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

To start with the obvious - is the sound muted?

SpeedMaxPC is probably not a good idea.

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

Yes the plugs are in. How do I install the sound drivers please

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

But have you checked that the sound is not muted? Look in the system tray, bottom right, for a volume symbol. Does that have a cross through it? Open it and check what volume it is et at.

What is your OS?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. check sound settings in control panel - muted or set to minimum?

2. check in device manager for and errors against your sound card /chip?

3. if your speakers are powered - are they switched on?

4. try a set or earphones in the speaker socket to discount faulty speakers.

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

The sound isn't muted. Maybe PC is on the blink. the screen keeps moving. I have XP

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

stay away from SpeedMaxPC you don't need it. It's 'Free to try (Free scan, fix-disabled) $29.99 to buy' According to the reviews and other forums 'Anything it purports to 'fix' can be fixed in a safer and Free way' Also it finds problems that don't exist.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

I lost my sound having had to unplug all the cables and had probably put all the audio ones back in the wrong place (by mistake). My Realtek on-board audio is supposed to manage this but obviously got itself in a muddle. Had to call in my local guru who, having gone through all the usual checks downloaded the latest driver from the Realtek site. Magic, all is well. So the advice from Chronos is probably spot on.

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

Would you believe it. I was turning the sound up BUT I hadn't got it switched on. Thank you all for help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014