We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba Satellite C650-D Startup Problem

Pangaea

Likes # 0

A few nights ago my computer froze whilst I was online. When I tried to start it up again, it went straight to a black screen and read 'No bootable device found - Insert boot disk and press any key' I managed to enter BIOS and changed settings to default, saved, and rebooted, but no change, I aslo tried moving the order of th boot up so that LAN was last in the list (I have heard that it may be trying to boot from LAN) but no change either, it just reads 'for atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.0.1.9 (12/15/09)

check cable connection! pce-m0f : exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key'

I have taken my HDD out and put it back in to make sure it wasn't a loose connection, didn't help. It does recognise my HDD, as it is listed as first booting option on boot manager (F12) so it's not dead. Is it possibly faulty? If so do I need a new hard drive? Or is that possibly not the problem, and buying a new hadr drive would be a waste of money?

Help please, thanks in advance :)

Kez

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Buy a new hard drive. If you haven't burnt the recovery discs you will have to buy an OEM version of Windows as well. You'll also have to go to the Toshiba help and support site for your drivers using another PC.

Must agree with Strawballs, Toshiba hard drives(two years old, or about) are failing at an above average I think, even locally.

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

Sounds like a fair bit of money, is it true I can install windows oem from a friends cd, and just use the product key on the underside of my laptop? or something like that... Also, are the drivers free?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

is it true I can install windows oem from a friends cd, and just use the product key on the underside of my laptop?

Yes as long as it is same version ie Home on both a pro disc will not work with a home product key.

The drivers are free from the manufacturers web site

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

'On both'? Is there two discs? Yes, I can probably get hold of a windows 7 home prem.

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

I tested another HDD in my laptop and it worked. I then tested my HDD in another laptop and it didn't... Any new HDD suggestions?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I tested another HDD in my laptop and it worked

good that means it is definitely the HDD failed and not the SATA controller.

How big a drive do you want? a 2.5 sata laptop drive will cost approx £50 for a 320Gb

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

Someone else mentioned SSD, which I understand is a lot better, I not that bothered about cost, but wouldn't really want to go over £50, and of course, I don't want to spend more money on a HDD or SSD that isn't worth it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

SSD is better but very expensive still to gain very little in speed.

I suggest you stay with a standard 2.5inch SATA hard disk drive

Lots here I suggest this one is probably best value for your laptop

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

5400rpm? Nxgga please...

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

Are yo sure I don't need SATA 2?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...