We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba Satellite C650-D Startup Problem

Pangaea

Likes # 0

A few nights ago my computer froze whilst I was online. When I tried to start it up again, it went straight to a black screen and read 'No bootable device found - Insert boot disk and press any key' I managed to enter BIOS and changed settings to default, saved, and rebooted, but no change, I aslo tried moving the order of th boot up so that LAN was last in the list (I have heard that it may be trying to boot from LAN) but no change either, it just reads 'for atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.0.1.9 (12/15/09)

check cable connection! pce-m0f : exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key'

I have taken my HDD out and put it back in to make sure it wasn't a loose connection, didn't help. It does recognise my HDD, as it is listed as first booting option on boot manager (F12) so it's not dead. Is it possibly faulty? If so do I need a new hard drive? Or is that possibly not the problem, and buying a new hadr drive would be a waste of money?

Help please, thanks in advance :)

Kez

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It does recognise my HDD, as it is listed as first booting option on boot manager (F12) so it's not dead.

Not recognising a HDD is fitted, first boot device is just an option.

Your notion of remove and refit drive was a good one, but if machine is not finding it then a good chance it has died.

You need to go into the BIOS and force a search for Hard drives to see if the BIOS can find your drive.

or put he drive in a caddy and attach to another PC to see if that machine can find it.

Do you have a back up of all your data?

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

Yes, the BIOS and boot manager can both recognise the HDD, it is the first option for booting from. So this could mean that the hard drive is corrupt? It's recognised but not able to be booted from. I don't know :L I didn't have any important data on my laptop, it's mainly used for entertainment. So if the solution is to buy a new hard drive then I am happy to get one. The question is, is this the solution? If I buy a new hard drive, will that solve it? I don't want to waste any money...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes its corrupt

sounds as if mbr is corrupt, What op system?

You need to boot from an op system CD to command prompt and run fixmbr and fixboot at the c: prompt.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The number of Toshiba laptops I've come across recently with dead hard drives is a worry, it does seem to be a week point on them and their diagnostic software is also not very good compared to the likes of Hitachi or maxtor so if you do need to replace the drive I would go for a different make!

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

Ok. Thanks for the feedback guys :) As far as I can tell, I have two options:

1. Boot from an Op system cd, probaly Windows 7, and work to repair my current hard drive.

2. Buy a new hard drive.

Firstly, I don't think I have any idea where my op cd is, so where would I be able to get one? Secondly, what are some good hard drives you can recommend that are compatible with my laptop?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It may not have come with a op system DVd as they often put the tools on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Not much use when the HDD fails.

Did you make the back up DVD / CDs when you first got it? You may need these to reinstall from onto your new drive.

windows-7-system-repair-discs will help repair but not reinstall.

Boot to the command line tool and run fixmbr

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you did not make the Restore DVD when new and need a new drive then you will need to get a copy of windows 7 oem the same version that was on there ie home premium or ultra etc and use the product key from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop (if it is readable) if not you will need to buy a new copy of windows. With both of these options you will need to download the drivers for that machine.

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

Someone else mentioned I could download hirens or linux onto a flash drive and boot off of that, and run tests to make sure my HDD is faulty, is this correct, how would I go about it?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You could burn an ISO copy of UBCD from here that is a linux based programme which has a number of useful tools on it.

Like this post
Pangaea

Likes # 0

Ok, I managed to work out Hirens, and ran the fujitsu hdd diagnosis test. I tested twice and both times it said no hdd was found, does this mean it's faulty? If so, what now? Do I work to repair it? Or buy a new hdd?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features