We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

did a few system restores dell dimension 9150 with win xp pro now got blue screen- help

SANAP

Likes # 0

Dell 9150 dec 05 worked like a dream untril 2 days ago, i got stuck with networking and to try and improve things I did a few syStem restores but none worked ie it said computer failed to restore, the last one I tried gave me an error message and on reboot I get the BSOD. The PC came with an utility partition and I can run dignostics. I should say PC was freezing if left unattended and this was reason for restore. The cd rom drive wont open either now. I did take out graphics card and re-seated. All to no avail.

Any tricks I can try? It has me foxed.

sanapdell

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

nb freezing only started before I did the restores ie 2 days ago

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The cd rom drive wont open either now. I did take out graphics card and re-seated.

Possible you disturbed DVD drive cables - make sure fully inserted at drive and motherboard ends.

The PC came with an utility partition and I can run dignostics.

Do you mean the F8 menu? have you tried Last Known good configuration? or safemode ? does it freeze in safemode?

Freeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest http://www.memtest86.com/

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment (OK in safemode - freezing in normal mode only)

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

ok, it never rains but it pours! I had a power cut last night or an outtage, lasts for a few mins apparently, happens around 2/3am. This time it has mucked up my VIEWSONIC monitor, no signal via DVI so had to switch monitors as new pc does not have VGA out! I have done all the usual bits as you metioned above and just now i disconnected the cd rom drive but it detects missing drive and switches to setup, I can select safe mode but after lqloading drivers it goes to BSOD, have tried last good settings, all take me to BSOD. Its a dell pc so comes with an utility partition, I have run some testests and got only one error about a usb controller 1. message is " SHOWS AND OVER CURRENT INDICATION ON PORT A"! IT HAS USB PORTS FRONT AND BACK! And iiit highighted the stuck cd drive! Then on a test on drive 0 it said fail, RETURN CODE 7. DELL dont give you the full cd of the xp pro os but a disc that has something on it ie a factory reset but that will lose all my emails!! My next try will be a windows repair and a search for that code report.

ththanks for replying, if i have missed anything jog my memory.
sanap n My

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

RETURN CODE 7 means a failing hard drive as the BIOS cannot detect it - equivalent of

"No boot device, insert boot disk and press any key to continue."

but a loose /failing data cable will give same message

A corrupt drive also accounts for the BSODs

check cabling first then I would be tempted to put the drive in a caddy and try a dskchk tool on another PC.

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

Thank you, the weather is getting worse here so no gardening and more time to play/mess with the 9150. So far, the cd rom drive would not open, power light comes on but nothing, I opened it manually with the paperclip trick. I then tried an xp rescue disk I have from a dell 8130 but it would not read it. I dont think I got a disk with the 9150, its on a hidden partition. I am running diagnostics now on hard drives and got one error so far, code 0f00:0244 = uncorrectable data error or media encrypted. I have 2 hd's so will test both. test takes ages. All cables were checked. I dont have a disc caddy!

sanap

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

Thank you, the weather is getting worse here so no gardening and more time to play/mess with the 9150. So far, the cd rom drive would not open, power light comes on but nothing, I opened it manually with the paperclip trick. I then tried an xp rescue disk I have from a dell 8130 but it would not read it. I dont think I got a disk with the 9150, its on a hidden partition. I am running diagnostics now on hard drives and got one error so far, code 0f00:0244 = uncorrectable data error or media encrypted. I have 2 hd's so will test both. test takes ages. All cables were checked. I dont have a disc caddy!

sanap

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"DELL dont give you the full cd of the xp pro os but a disc that has something on it"

That will be a full copy of OEM XP pro (with MCE if that's what you ordered to have on pc when you got it). It's probably entitled 'Operating System - Already installed on your pc' Reinstallation DVD. (mine's the red label as have XP MCE)

In addition should you ever need to do a full fresh install (wipe C:, format and reinstall or use on a new HDD) it will not need a product key inserting (it won't ask for one as long as it is used on a Dell pc) (Dell SLIC Royalty pre-configured). You should also have a different CD that contains the drivers for your system.

So if you have a spare Harddrive you could take out the problem one and install XP on the spare one then hook up the problem one as a slave and then rescue your emails and anything else you want. That is if the problem HDD is readable.

Regarding the rest of your problem, Fruit Bat /\0/\ knows far more than me about how to troubleshoot it also I'm on a little IBM Thinkpad at mo' as have emptied room - Dell pc all packed up - but have got new carpet laid so should be back in by weekend :)

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

an update, after quite a few tests I narrowed it down to the HDD ie its not readable, I have a usb gadget that I found and tried that and it wont read. Rang DELL and they are sending a replacement HD with the os xp pro on disc for €51.00 BUT will I be able to install all the various bits myself? ie drivers, which ones?? DELL want €112 to call to do it!!44

i may be back.

sanap

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

thanks lotvic, and just to update, i took hd to a local shop and low and behold they were able to clone the files from old hd to new one I got from dell so got all data back but I don't have sp3 anymore and I cant download from MS site. I get an error. And the cd drive and dvd drive dont read data, and when I uninstalled the dvd drive the system went to black screen so I used best know settings to reboot. I put another dvd in the cd slot and it works. So I have a few teething problems but got all my data back and will get another HDD and put system on that ie have a play.

I cant read the old hd.

sanap

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite