We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are extra fan's or cooling devices necessary?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is not a question for help, but more of a 'curious' question!.

There are many people who use computer's for gaming,or perhaps 'high intensive' work and usage, and the usual comment is about heat being generated and surplus to requirements, so all sorts of cooling aid devices are brought into action by some people.

So back to the question, is extra 'fanning' really necessary, and if so, why do some computer manufacturer's not provide this as an essential?.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This very much depends on the case. If you have an intake at the front say and you will have an exhaust fan at the back then in normal circumstances extra cooling is probably not needed. But if you have a high end GPU and play graphic intensive games then extra cooling by way of another intake and perhaps an extra exhaust fan in the roof is probably going to be necessary.

Likewise if you are into over-clocking your components,then this will produce a lot more heat and your cooling must reflect that.

As to why PC manufacturers not include extra fans, most of the time it is not needed, as for PC case manufacturers then some come with a lot of fans,I had one of these,Silverstone FT02 which as you can see came with 4 fans, I have a Lian Li that came with 3, and I also have a Fractal Design case that came with 3, it will depend on the quality of the case as to whether you get the extra fans.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Chronus, thanks for the response, and I appreciate what you have stated, and agree about case manufacture.

I have just had a cpu noise fan problem, and trying out various things, the end result was removing a side panel from the case, which as reduced temperatures considerably, and seemingly 'repaired' the cpu fan.

In the incident above, I have ordered a replacement cpu fan, and at the same time I was offered a kit containing a cpu fan and an additional hard-drive dual fan (something that I have never thought about previously).

I have a number of computer's (for general use, no gaming), and all the cases seem to be designed in various ways by having different slotting or vwenting arrangements, as does the fan's that have been installed in the cases. So my thoughts are probably off tangent, but can heat be an helper as much as an hinderance, and some of the 'water cooling' is more for show than anything else?.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A hard-drive fan is a little over the top and not necessary for most people. You do not state whether you have a stock cooler or not. Also all fans are not considered equal. I have fans that are noisy and fans that you would not know they were turning. I currently have this Kuhler 920 which even though it has two fans in a push/pull set up is very quiet plus I have a couple of Akasa Quiet Cool with a noise rating of 17.5 dBA and a couple of Fractal Design - 140mm Silent Series which are even quieter at only 9 dBA. The Akas's I have dropped the voltage from 12v to 7v which slows the fan and of course lessens any sound.

If by have the side of your case off reduces temps then this would indicate poor airflow through your case. This can be improved by hiding most of the cables, most modern cases these days have decent cable management as a selling point. In my case I do not have any cables running across the mobo, all go behind the motherboard tray and pop through holes where needed to connect to the mobo.This certainly improves airflow.

As to your question as whether heat can be a helper only in so much as there is an optimum temperature for components as with everything else.

As for water cooling yes there is a lot of show but it can reduce temps of CPU and GPU considerably. This Is an area I have yet to dabble in YET!!!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I'll tick this as resolved, unless someone wants to add further?.

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You might hope that anything from a Multinational would be perfectly designed, given their resources.

But designers may be inexperienced, their managers out of date or unaware of particular implications. Or they may veto a better design on cost considerations or allow an old design to perpetuate unchanged through later models.

In my experience, once something 'sort of works' there is a lot of pressure to stop designing, kludge the worst of the inadequacies and get it into production.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

A PC as supplied by the manufacturer should really have enough cooling.

Extra cooling is only required once you start tinkering. So if you add a new VGA card you may need to add bigger intake & exhaust fans to the case to take into account the extra heat thrown out by the VGA card's fan(s).

If you overclock the CPU you may need to add a bigger heat sink & fan to the CPU, as it'll put out a lot more heat.

Here's an example of how much heat a CPU generates.

I used to work in PC repair, and one PC came back with an intermittent fault, but it looked like it was either the CPU or RAM at fault, so I kept having to swap out the CPU, but it was getting annoying applying a smear of thermal paste, then clamping down the heatsink, so one time I just held it firmly in place. Pretty much as soon as I applied the power the CPU overheating protection kicked in and removed the power - AMD CPUs at the time were able to run at 120°C, it reached that temperature in less than a second.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing