We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help choosing a laptop please

Marcc

Likes # 0

Hi .. i know this sounds daft, but i'm struggling to find many laptops that fit my requirements. I need a 15" metal bodied and backlit keyboard laptop, Intel CPU too, I've got a Macbook Pro, but its up for sale. I've found a Dell XPS15z, some Sony Viao's and HPs.. I'll be running Linux so, can anyone help me cut through the hundreds of models.. its overwhelming. Thanks . Mark

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What do you want to use it for and what is your budget?

Metal bodied could be difficult to find.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

See here for my view:

Other thread

Like this post
Marcc

Likes # 0

Hi.. Woolwell, about £700 UKP, so must be intel CPU, 15" screen hopefully Nvidia graphics. i know there's not many aluminiun/magnesuim ones about, doesn't have to be totally metal, but i'm spending the next week doing some serious research

so wireless, DVD bit of basic audio editing, not into gaming, I'm into Linux, so windows will be used rarely, watching online movies / podcasts so my needs are pretty average, i really like these ultrabooks, but they're out of my price range, and usually have less than 15" displays. some Dell's look interesting. seems some people love them, and other really hate them.

I was all up for the Asus Aspire Ethos 5951G, its 90% ideal, but the thing has some dual Nvidia/IntelGMAvideocard tickery and they dont seem to play well in Linux. :(

i am still researching into this too though.

Thanks ... Mark

Like this post
Marcc

Likes # 0

Thanks John .. looking at a Toshiba on John Lewis now.. not too far off what i'm after.. no backlit keys found yet :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more