We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD replacement advice needed

olyman

Likes # 0

I intend to replace one of my internal HDDs and use it in an enclosure to increase my back-up capacity. I would also like to improve the performance for photo processing which slows down when I process a batch of photos. I wonder if this would be improved by increasing the the HDD cache? A 500Gb HDD would be more than adequate as a replacement for my C drive as I store data on a second internal HDD. It seems that I would need a 1Tb HDD to obtain a 64Mb cache as opposed to the 16Mb of my existing HDD. The new HDD would have a 6Gbps transfer speed rather than 3Gbps. I'm not sure if the higher transfer speed might be affected by other hardware components. Cache size or transfer speed, which if any could improve processing performance?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

olyman

I have my undo set for 20, cache to 4 I think.Advantage of the removable caddies is that when mounted they have the same speed transfer rate as internal SATA. USB drives are fine, but I thought you might like to keep your old drive in one to swap with a new one. I would still keep data on a separate partition for ease of back up. I also convert slides scanned with a Canon 8800f scanner, but only have one actually open at a time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...