We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Yet Another 'Which Laptop?' Question

Kyotofu92

Likes # 0

Hello , I'm 16 and looking for my first laptop after using an old Dell Dimension 3100c since 2006. I'm hopefully of to university next year but have began a new course where I need a laptop now . It will need to last 4/5 years and be somewhat 'Future Proof '. I listen to music a lot and play a few games like Sims 3 etc. I also watch movies sometimes . It must have a good keyboard and trackpad for typing and researching vigorously . I would like a HD 15.4/6" screen , Intel i5 or above , 4 GB ram min and a dedicated graphics card. I wound also like one that is stylish and has a good design which is why I have been attracted to the Sony Vaio S series . Although I might hold off for the refresh with Ivy Bridge processors . What do you think ?

Like this post
Kyotofu92

Likes # 0

Hello , I'm 16 and looking for my first laptop after using an old Dell Dimension 3100c since 2006. I'm hopefully of to university next year but have began a new course where I need a laptop now . It will need to last 4/5 years and be somewhat 'Future Proof '. I listen to music a lot and play a few games like Sims 3 etc. I also watch movies sometimes . It must have a good keyboard and trackpad for typing and researching vigorously . I would like a HD 15.4/6" screen , Intel i5 or above , 4 GB ram min and a dedicated graphics card. I wound also like one that is stylish and has a good design which is why I have been attracted to the Sony Vaio S series . Although I might hold off for the refresh with Ivy Bridge processors . What do you think ?

Like this post
Kyotofu92

Likes # 0

Forgot to say I have a MAX budget of £700

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would go for a Toshiba (reliable, spares back up good) from John Lewis (2 Years warranty). For that budget you can easily meet your needs (but do keep enough for a USB HD back up!!)

J Lewis Toshiba

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

There are two things to think about, in terms of spec.

1) What you need to play games. I would suggest you check out a couple of games you "wish" you could play, and read the min system requirements.

2) Think about anything your likely Uni course will need. Particularly if you are thinking of something involving Design or Film, you may need something specific, for software. Your school, or the Uni, can probably advise.

One of those will determine what you "ought" to get. Hopefully you can then find that within your spec. Otherwise, it will be necessary to compromise, on one or the other. If you've been happy with your Dell, a Dell XPS15 might be a good choice, but may push your budget, a bit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide