We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying to learn the basics of building a webiste

canderous

Likes # 0

I believe I have a great idea for a website and I am looking to build it in my free time.

The trouble is I don't have a clue what I am doing. I have Dreamweaver CS6 but I can't get anywhere with it because I don't know where to start. I have tried looking for tutorials and helpful forum posts but I can't find anything that helps too much.

If anyone has any links or advice they could offer me that would be greatly appreciated. I really just need somewhere to start.

Thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

It can be a steep learning curve to begin with, but if you stick at it you'll find things getting easier.

Click here for a good tutorial it's for an earlier version of Dreamweaver than the one you have, but that won't matter.

A word of advice before you begin....

Sit quietly and work out how many pages/sections your site will have, and arrange them architecturally - that is, draw a diagram a bit like a family tree, with your homepage at the top, and lines connecting it with sub-pages. Add extra pages to the sub pages as required. Remember that each time you connect one page to another it will represent a mouse click for a site visitor. The trick is to try to design a site in such a way that navigation is fast and easy - people will expect navigation to be intuitive, they don't like having to work hard to find what they want.

Once you've got an idea of site layout you can start building - it will make the job much easier. Get the layout design and site structure done first, and add text and image content later.

Like this post
canderous

Likes # 0

Thank you so much for your post. That link is very helpful!

If I encounter any problems I will post something in this forum again.

Thanks again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger