We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone recommend a free duplicate file finder?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Hi all.

Irritation (and dwindling storage space) has finally overcome inertia and I am going to have a clear out of my systems. One of the problems I face is the habit of making backups onto another hard drive, after suffering a loss a few years back. As my backup drive became full, I would upgrade to a larger drive, copy eveything across and carry on as normal. Over the years this has resulted in multiple copies of a great many files spread over a large number of probably redundant drives across my home network (backups werent limited to my local machine)

What I'm after is a recommendation preferably from personal use of a small free program that will survey my system (network drives can be imported later) and list files that are both duplicate in filename and filesize. The latter because of my bad habit of downloading images direct from a camera and keeping the default file name. For example, on my local machine I have 1712 copies of the filename DSC00001. A good number of them duplicates (and duplicates of duplicates). And thats just one filename.

Any ideas?

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps you might find something here http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-duplicate-file-detector.htm

I haven't personally tried or used any of the suggestions, but something there might fit the bill?.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds.

A google search also turns up a fair number. It's personal knowledge of them I'm after.

WTM

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Beware ! I would be very careful using a Duplicate File Finder program unless you know exactly what you are doing and how to use it OR you could end up with some missing system files! (yes it can/does happen)

Like this post
Salut

Likes # 0

I have used this one in the past: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/duplicate-file-finder/

I store a large number of photographs and occasionally have a good clear out of the duplicates.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm primarily interested in ridding myself of duplicate picture and video files.

WTM

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This one should suit your needs - enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Not totally FREE but another option enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......