We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How I go about dual boot - XP and Win 7

zarobian

Likes # 0

I have already installed win 7 on a sata drive. I wish to add anther sata drive to the system and install xp pro on it. Will it complicate my boot system? What is the best way to do it withou damaging the existing boot system. I have some ideas but want to seek expert advice on the subject. Thanks for your input.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Guide here

You could make an Image Backup of your 'System' (Boot) Partition first. Your existing MBR will be saved too.

Easeus Todo Backup would be suitable to do that and allows a Boot recovery CD to be made in case of problems and you render computer unbootable. (worst case)

Like this post
zarobian

Likes # 0

Thanks for you post. I have already backed up my disk using Acronis 2011. I have placed an arder for a sata drive and on arrival I shall disconnect the existing drive and connect the new drive,format and install th winxp on it. Thereafter I shall reconnect the win7 disk and try to restart the machine. If any problem I shall restore the boot secter using Acronis recovery. Will post back Thanks again.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

About 18 months ago I had a dual boot XP and W7. I concluded within 2 weeks that the XP could be dispensed with.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED