We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with Driver Updating Programmes

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

Has anyone had any experience with "Advanced Drive Updates" from Sysftweak Inc. which is retailed by Ashampoo. Are programmes such as these really worth the money and will they really speed up my PC?

The programme indicates that I have 10 outdated drivers which are System devices.

Intel(R) series/3400 series chipsetFamilyPCI Express Root Port 1 -3B42 Intel(R) series/3400 series chipsetFamilyPCI Express Root Port 3 -3B46 Intel(R) series/3400 series chipsetFamilyPCI Express Root Port 6 -3B4C Intel (R)82801PCI Bridge - 244E Intel (R)H57 Express Chipset LPC Interface Controller - 3B08 Intel (R) Processor DRAM Controller - 0040 Intel (R) Processor PCI Express Root Port - 0041 Intel (R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 3B30

I have tried to find and update these drivers myself without any luck!

Is it necessary to update the Intel drivers, and if so where can I find them, I have tried the Intel site, they do not seem to be featured?

It also advised that NVIDIA GeForce G210 is out of date but I have a FREE programme from NVidia which updates its own drivers so I do not need to worry about those.

I would be grateful for any help and advice that is on offer.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

In my opinion driver update programs can and do cause more problems than they solve. I have had PC,s to sort where people have downloaded so called updates to obscure drivers and it has trashed the PC.

The graphics card driver as you rightly say can be done automatically from the Nvidia website. The rest of the so called updates you can safely ignore and get rid of the bit of software.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 1

I fully agree with Chronus. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Microsoft updates do sometimes update things and individual items usually have a driver notification system. If you get a yellow triangle in Device Manger you can update that device only. As Chronus says, ditch the package deal.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

At the risk of repeating what the guys have said: there is no automatic update driver software that's worth the money - and even free ones are too expensive. jb's advice is spot on: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Drivers are perhaps the single biggest cause of system instability: thus, if you have a stable system, you'd be foolish to mess with them. Only ever update drivers if a) you have a problem that you believe can only be cured by updating the driver, b) if a new driver offers features or performance that you believe you need, or C0 because you have to because e.g. you've changed your operating system. Other than that - don't go there.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Making a backup of your drivers, on a known working system, is a good idea though.

Some of these progs allow that. or see DoubleDriver.

Burn to CD/DVD and they are easily available in the event of future system corruptions and re-installs.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 1

I can only repeat what others have said..Leave well alone !

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thank you all for the advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia