We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No power to heatsink fan

gadgetgeek
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Packard Bell iPower 6800sli PC. It recently powered itself off after 5 minutes. I opened the case and removed the heatsink and fan and cleaned the dust away as it. Looked semi clogged.. On re-installing the PC worked normally. The next day the same thing happened. On checking the heatsink fan it was not working. I bought a replacement fan and fitted it but the new fan does not work either. All other parts of the machie work and it powers up with no problems but the heatsink soon gets hot, so power it down to prevent damage. Why would the fan not work? What else could or should I check? They cabling is fitted correctly and I see no damage etc on the MoBo. Many thanks for any guidance.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Do the fan blades rotate?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Possible motherboard fault,if the fan is not turning and you have it connected to the correct header on your motherboard,then that would suggest that the header is faulty.

As an after thought did you reapply thermal paste between heatsink and CPU?not that that would stop the fan turning.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Type of otherboard

2. Check BIOS power settings

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The fault could be a little more complicated, but you could try a simple direct test on the new replacement fan to see it that works okay.

Like this post
gadgetgeek

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. Yes I did put paste on, but as you said should not affect the fan. Blades turn freely on the old and new unit. Never entered the BIOS before but will try though only have around 5 mins before the PC powers itself down. How can I do a direct fan test? Again many many thanks for help. Hope it is not a case of my Bank Holiday looking for a new machine!!!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you just bought a fan then plug it in to any 3 pin header on the board to test if it runs, but to be honest it is unlikely that both the old and the new fans do not work.

what heatsink/cooler are you using, I assume it is not a stock one? I am not sure what Fruit Bat means by checking power settings but his question on the motherboard is a valid one.What is it?

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

There may be other points on the board for case fans, have you tried the cpu fan in one of those?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

You could try a direct test using any battery and a little piece of wire. If you do it for a few seconds it should do no harm but at least you will find out if it or even they are working OK which should at least point you in another direction.

Like this post
gadgetgeek

Likes # 0

I have plugged the fan into a 3 pin socket located elsewhere on the MoBo, but cannot say what the pins are for as area around covered, and the fan works! Is it ok to leave left in to this point? So many thanks for all your help and advice so far. Have a feeling my PC has seen better days n maybe this is a warning to start looking for a new machine!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Now test the old fan, the same way that you have tried the new fan, and see if that works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features