We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clean install of Win 7 from XP at last

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - I'm plucking up courage to get round to this at last, but can someone tell me what happens to all my Outlook 2003 stuff (not Outlook Express)? Will all emails, folders, address book, contacts etc re-appear as if by magic? I know 7 uses Live Mail.

I'm going to use Windows Easy Transfer, which my other half used, but he's just told me he doesn't have any emails etc on his desktop. I'd be slightly annoyed, to say the least, if he told me after he's done it that he'd forgotten to say all his emails were on his laptop...

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you have enough spare space on the backup drive, make an Image Backup of your old partition(s).

After W7 install, you can Mount the Images as drives and copy over your files.

Macrium Reflect Free would be the fastest way to do that.

(Other Image backup Apps also suitable.)

Double click the resultant .mrimg file to mount it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Edit: After W7 install you would need to re-install Macrium to mount the image.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

I found the WET on the Win 7 disc. It's taken 6 hours to transfer stuff and still has an hour to go. Heaven knows what it's doing!

Should I have disconnected my internal drives so it could just transfer stuff from the C drive? If it's copied stuff from the other drives, will it just put back what it's transferred to where it originally was? Or if it's copied say 50 GB from a drive which has 80 GB on it, will it copy back 50 and 'lose' the other 30?

Not explained very well, but perhaps someone can understand what's worrying me.

Almost time for another G&T...

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

I found WET on the Win 7 disc. It's taken 6 hours to transfer stuff and there's still an hour to go. Heaven knows what it's doing! Should I have disconnected my other internal drives so it could copy stuff just from the C drive?

Also, if it is copying from one or both of the other drives and has, say, transferred 50GB from a drive holding 80GB, will it put back the 50 to where it came from and then 'lose' the other 30GB?

I'm fed up with this now!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Oops, the first one wasn't there when I checked.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen